Edmunds SS Review

rmcswain

I personally think that many reviewers miss the mark by comparing the SS to the Lighning or SRT10.

Different trucks...different concepts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just happens mine differs

significantly from the author of this article/review. Could it have more power? Of course. That's NOT

the only reason people buy trucks (or cars for that matter). I've said it before and I'll say it again...I feel

the SS is the best looking truck out this year and the performance is plenty for me...plus I can bring the

wife and kids for a ride...all at the same time! I suppose it's a question of comparing apples with apples, etc.

There is nothing in the SS' class to compare it to so we'll have to live with the Lightning comparisons...I can

live with that.

I wonder what will be written when the SSR hits showrooms...and who knows what it will be compared with.

When you invent a vehicle class (such as AWD performance truck with room for 4) the automotive journalists

are forced to concoct seemingly meaningful comparisons.

Just my 2 cents...

Expectations get raised in the reviews like this, and comparisons are a cheap way to sell a story to an editor. The SS badge raises expectations also, but the reviewers do not "get it" as the Owners and Enthusiasts on this site do.

If the Lightning is a Sport Truck, then the SS is a Grand Touring Truck, as in comparing a Jaquar to a Ferrari. If the SS was badged Silverado GTT, these writers would have a harder job, and we would still have a great truck! So all in all :withstupid:

There is nothing in the SS' class to compare it to so we'll have to live with the Lightning comparisons...I can

live with that.

Actually there IS something in the "same class" as the SS. It's the Harley Edition Ford. HOWEVER, for some unknown reason....nobody in the media is doing a comparison between the two trucks. Dont know what gives there.??? You would think that they would at least "stumble" across the 2 trucks and get a clue! :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Harley is the competition, and it seems like a pretty nice truck. All it needs is a complete re-paint (Harley decals--are you kidding me?) and the addition of 4-wheel drive. So, I figure that adding a scharger to the SS leaves me $$ ahead.

Like many others, I'm just weary of the automotive world's laziness in automatically comparing the SS to the Lightning. I'd love a lightning, if I weren't too fat to fit in a standard cab, didn't have kids, and lived in a land of no snow.

I personally think that many reviewers miss the mark by comparing the SS to the Lighning or SRT10.

Different trucks...different concepts. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just happens mine differs

significantly from the author of this article/review. Could it have more power? Of course. That's NOT

the only reason people buy trucks (or cars for that matter). I've said it before and I'll say it again...I feel

the SS is the best looking truck out this year and the performance is plenty for me...plus I can bring the

wife and kids for a ride...all at the same time! I suppose it's a question of comparing apples with apples, etc.

live with that.

I wonder what will be written when the SSR hits showrooms...and who knows what it will be compared with.

When you invent a vehicle class (such as AWD performance truck with room for 4) the automotive journalists

are forced to concoct seemingly meaningful comparisons.

Just my 2 cents...

Right on target and enough said :thumbs:

Expectations get raised in the reviews like this, and comparisons are a cheap way to sell a story to an editor. The SS badge raises expectations also, but the reviewers do not "get it" as the Owners and Enthusiasts on this site do.

If the Lightning is a Sport Truck, then the SS is a Grand Touring Truck, as in comparing a Jaquar to a Ferrari. If the SS was badged Silverado GTT, these writers would have a harder job, and we would still have a great truck! So all in all :withstupid:

Again :D Right on target and enough said :thumbs:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, so don't yell at me. I agree with everything that has been said. But, aside from the comparisons to vehicles that don't compare, the review hit the mark that so many of us had said we would change. Putting the SS badge on this truck, knowing full well with what it is normally associated with, is GM's fault. It set this truck up to be compared to the lightning. 9 out 10 people probably, would name the lightning as our truck's competition, just because it's Chevy and "SS".

For the guys that don't own one yet, these kind of reviews are great. Maybe it will get GM to wake up and give the truck some of the things that we all said, not all of us, but most, said we wanted in a future production.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass what one guy or a whole reporting team evaluated on a truck they drove for a couple of days. I love this truck. If "I" want to compete against a lightning, then I will do what I think I need to do to get me there. But, that's not why I bought the truck, as the writer implied that that would be the only reason you would.

Negative reviews suck, but I could care less about them. Most importantly, it makes me feel no different when I get in it and crank it up.

Just my thoughts.

I have the July/August issue of Truck Trend, in which there is a test between a Chevy SS Truck, a Ford Harley Truck, and a Dodge Ram Regular Cab with a Hemi. In my opinion, the test is biased against the SS. All through the test they speak poorly of the SS, and in one case, said that it has a "sport-truck wannabe front-end treatment." What is that? I think that the SS looks alot better than the Dodge or Ford. You can have your ugly ass Dodge and you can go find your Ford dead on the road, I am keeping my Chevrolet SS.

live with that.

Actually there IS something in the "same class" as the SS. It's the Harley Edition Ford. HOWEVER, for some unknown reason....nobody in the media is doing a comparison between the two trucks. Dont know what gives there.??? You would think that they would at least "stumble" across the 2 trucks and get a clue! :rolleyes:

actually motor trends truck trend did this month they did a grudge match between the SS the 2 door dodge ram and the harley truck. the mag is dated july aug 2003. i have not got to read the article yet but i did look at the stats on the back page of the article the harley is faster and lighter the ram was the slowest and it was hevier than the harley truck i can tell you from the stats that we will get the harley truck at the jump and dont let the other driver break the tires loose if they will at the jump! :flag:

Guys, it's kind-of like the way sports "writers" decide who is ranked #1 and who get's into the hall of fame, etc. But, none of those guys are athletes, so what do they know?

Same thing with most who write these apples vs. oranges comparisons. Even the ones who almost get it right still miss the mark because they don't love the cars like we do, they just get paid to write about it.

Those who CAN, own one, those who CAN'T, write about them...

If the 04' SRT and the '04 Reg. Cab SS are production units then that would be a much better comparison with the L. The media can compare anything they want, they buy ink by the BARREL and it is difficult for individuals to compete with mass media. It is just difficult to understand their (media) rationale in wanting to compare TOTALLY different trucks designed for TOTALLY different purposes :crazy:

unfortunately the article is a big badge comparison, I did not get the feeling that the writer knew much about performance vehicles, I am sure he can write some pretty fancy articles, but did he have actual real time behind the drivers seat driver of any of the trucks? most automotive enthusiasts know the Lightning & SS trucks in comparison are apples & oranges, the only thing in common with them is that they are trucks, the SS is comparable to the Harley Edt, if Chevrolet would have not put the SS on it and have labeled it " India Motorcycles Edt. " then at least you would be reading an article with correct comparisons... just my 0.02¢ :D

Archived