Which transmission ????

So which transmission is it really going to be? I was just re-reading the GM media release about the Silverado SS and noticed this:

A standard high output LQ9 version of the Vortec 6000 V8, with 345 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque, provides Silverado SS with exhilarating off-line acceleration and relaxed cruising. It mates to a Hydra-Matic 4L85-E four-speed automatic overdrive transmission, whose 3.06 first gear and 0.70 final gear contribute to the truck's impressive performance.

http://media.gm.com/division/2003_prodinfo...lverado/pr.html

On the otherhand, Mervz spec collection from GM, here on the forum says it is the 4L65-E

This is of more than academic interest for those of us who intend to add a supercharger. With the stock engine putting out a torque rating of 380 lb-ft and a supercharged rating of 530 lb-ft.

4L85-E

Engine Range:

4.8L - 8.1L Gasoline

6.5L Diesel

Maximum Engine Torque:

440 lb-ft (597 Nm) (MT1)

460 lb-ft (624 Nm) (MN8)

4L65-E

Engine Range:

6.0L (M32)

Maximum Engine Torque:

380 lb-ft (515 Nm)(M32)

The heavier duty 4L84-E sounds like a better deal for a supercharger SS

Well, from about every publication that I have read on the trucks, they are going to have the 4L65E transmission.

Remember that this is a Cadillac drivetrain swap, and the Cad uses the 4L65E. If they changed the transmission, it would require more for emissions certification, and computer would have to be custom and different (since they have no platform that runs the 6.0 with the 4L85E).

If it were me, and I was going to put a supercharger on the truck, I would certainly have the trans beefed up. You blow it up and take it to the dealer, they will not warranty it with the blower on there. Also, I remember in some of the other posts about superchargers, that Whipple recommended trans work also.

• 2 weeks later...

with little mods? HAHAHAHAH

shit man I broke my 1st 2nd 3rd and reverse gear the second week I had my truck. Funniest thing about the whole deal was that the dealership wanted to rebuild it.

After a week and many threats I have an aftermarket tranny in my truck, and it's ran for 3 years now without a problem.

Thats just another strike against gm in my quest for another daily driver

I hope at least the tb ss is alot stronger

I sent out and email to GM earlier today asking which one they will be using. This was the response:

"Dear Mr. West,

The Silverado SS will have the 4L65-E transmission.

Thanks for your interest in Chevy Trucks!

Randy Fox

Chevy Communications"

Then again, we already knew that. Oh well. <_<

Justin

DC, you know that the SEMA Caddy is not getting the "pedal to the metal"

test that some of us SSS users will. Don't you imagine that they pretty much baby most of those concepts....? The real test should be out there in SO-CAL where every superstar has a sc Escalade. That will tell us if the 4L60 or 65 is up for the task. :rolleyes:

It is hard to second guess the things that drive the choices, that resulted in the Escalade EXT SEMA concept truck. However, it seems to me that they would be able to pick whatever parts they wanted. So there must be some confidence that the 4L65-E would be adequate.

Every Black Escalade I have seen on the road out here, is driven like they own the road, and want to be sure you know it. Very arrogant driving mentality. Apologies in advance, to anyone who has a Black Escalade, and does not fit my generalization :)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived