newbie with upgrade ?'s

I've done the seaches and i've been on forums before, so i know that i'll get a few flames from some of you veterans here, but: I just picked up my new SS yesterday and, although it is an amazing truck, i have a need for some more HP (i owned a Lightning with over $5k in engine bolt ons) and i was wondering if there were some SURE FIRE HP add ons....intake, PCM tuner, headers, exhaust...etc....I'm looking for performance - i don't mind the loud exhaust, hard shifts, etc....any suggestions.....thanks in advance :flag:

I've done the seaches and i've been on forums before, so i know that i'll get a few flames from some of you veterans here, but: I just picked up my new SS yesterday and, although it is an amazing truck, i have a need for some more HP (i owned a Lightning with over $5k in engine bolt ons) and i was wondering if there were some SURE FIRE HP add ons....intake, PCM tuner, headers, exhaust...etc....I'm looking for performance - i don't mind the loud exhaust, hard shifts, etc....any suggestions.....thanks in advance :flag:

I'm not really smart in the engine department but I would think a tune is by far the cheapest best bang for your buck. If you spent 5k on a lightning why not get a radix. Congrats on the truck. Someone with more engine knowledge chime in asap!!! :)

depending on how deep you want to dig into your wallet!

PCM, air intake

Exhaust, headers, heads, cam

Turbo, supercharger, NOS

The list goes on...it all depends on what you want the end result to be.

What are you looking for?

:withstupid:

get the blower and go from there :D  All the small stuff will leave you wanting more and eventually lead you to the blower.  Save the time advance to go :D

Go that route I started with the haeders and 50 series flowmaster and guess what I just bought the radix ..

thanks for the replies everyone...the truck is really impressive....AWD is great in the rain...can't wait to add some decent HP and be able to hook up to the pavement in the fall (at the track)...which leads me to the next (and hopefully one of the last) questions....how much additional power can the drivetrain take?? I know with the Lightning the "magic number" was 525 rwhp....does it make a difference with the AWD????....and NOS.....is that an alternative in these trucks compared to say a SC - wet or dry.....experts chime in PLEASE (it's a daily driver - so gas mileage and driveability are pretty important.

Flowmaster seems like a decent choice for an exhaust...which one though?? And how does it compare to the Corsa exhaust???

Thanks for the input...your help is greatly appreciated!!

:withstupid: The tranny is definitely the weak link, I chose to put my money into the tranny as my first mod. Currently a 4L60E can be prepared to handle around 650 ft-lbs. No worries on the transfer case, rated at 1900 ft-lbs! Nobody here yet has had axle related problems yet as the load is split between two axles instead of one but the factory axles are adequate, they could be really improved upon.

Quite a few guys campaign with NOS (100-125 shot) and do really well, the largest kit others have admitted to using is a 150-shot.

Corsas are regarded as better than Flowmasters because they are straight-through while all FM are chambered. The dual-in/dual-out FlowPros are popular too, they're straight-though as well as the Magnaflow. Several people gut the cats (me included) and don't waste your money on shorty headers.

All the usual bolt-ons put the SS in the low 14s; to go faster you're going to have to get into the heads/cam or go with forced induction (or both :D ).

Let us know what you go with.

Mr. P. :)

Archived