Changing my exhaust

Krambo

Well since I put the blower on, I have been debating on doing a different exhaust set-up.

Currently: ASM headders, H/F cats, x-pipe, 2 - 40 series delta flow Flowmasters, side exit. 2.5"

Proposed: Asm headders, H/F cats, 2 magnaflows, side exit. (true dual) 2.5"

Reasoning...With a FI set-up I figured the more free-flowing the better. I figured the X pipe is now just a restriction as well as the "chambered" flowmaster mufflers. I will still keep it all at 2.5 though. Funds are limited and going 3" stainless all the way will add up quick.

Any comments? I am still on the fence with this. :sigh:

you may pick up a little bit, because the magnaflow has the srait through design.I have a magnaflow and i really like it, it has a built in x pipe its dual in/out .

Keep the X-pipe. I did the dual Magnaflows without it and it was so loud it would give you a headache just driving it for 10 minutes. The x-pipe also helps balance the flow between the cylinder banks. Before I installed my x-pipe, I had very uneven pressure out of the pipes. You could feel the difference with your hand in front of the tips.

The x-pipe also smoothes out the flow and makes it feel much better.

I used the 4 x 14" round Mufflers (if you can even call them that) that magnaflow actually uses as resonators in some of theit other systems.

14416.jpg

Just my opinion, but if you remember looking at and hearing my truck in NJ, then you might want to keep the x-pipe.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. newbie here. I am just sitting here on tbyrne motorsports wanting to order my outlaw intake and magnaflow exhaust. I want the dual outlet, but whats this about the x pipe? I look at magnaflows web site and dont see anything about the x pipe being included on any pipes. Im looking at the magnaflow 15840. Sorry, im an idiot and brand new. just bought 03 ss, red, 2 days ago.

:nonod:

Ok. newbie here.  I am just sitting here on tbyrne motorsports wanting to order my outlaw intake and magnaflow exhaust.  I want the dual outlet, but whats this about the x pipe?  I look at magnaflows web site and dont see anything about the x pipe being included on any pipes.  Im looking at the magnaflow 15840.  Sorry, im an idiot and brand new. just bought 03 ss, red, 2 days ago.

if you're just doing a catback i wouldn't be looking into a catback. an x-pipe is a system that is made to balance the pressure and pulses between the left and right bank of exhaust. this is done by combining the two pipes in an X type shape.

Like this

corvette%20long%20x%20pipe.jpg

Ok. newbie here.  I am just sitting here on tbyrne motorsports wanting to order my outlaw intake and magnaflow exhaust.  I want the dual outlet, but whats this about the x pipe?  I look at magnaflows web site and dont see anything about the x pipe being included on any pipes.  Im looking at the magnaflow 15840.  Sorry, im an idiot and brand new. just bought 03 ss, red, 2 days ago.

if you're just doing a catback i wouldn't be looking into a catback. an x-pipe is a system that is made to balance the pressure and pulses between the left and right bank of exhaust. this is done by combining the two pipes in an X type shape.

Like this

corvette%20long%20x%20pipe.jpg

Zippy: thanks. sorry I sent you the personal message before I saw your reply. So can I buy this x pipe system, or is this a custom deal?

OK, so maybe I should just start a new topic, but I dont know how this forum thing works. I just know that this forum is awesome and a wealth of information. thanks to all you guys (people- got to be pc).

So in short. I want to put volant or outlaw intake, pcm, 160 tstat, and magnaflow for now. But this magnaflow has me confused. So can I buy a system ready to go with x pipe, or do I buy the components and custom build the system? Sorry, I need kindergarten terms. Kind of dumb, but a fast learner! :dunno:

...got to be pc...

No you don't :D

I don't think I've seen *any* catback kit that comes with x-pipe.

Related question for others - is is right that there is actually a 'correct' place to install an x-pipe, you don't just slap it in anywhere in the plumbing but instead at a calculated spot from the header flanges depending on displacement and primary pipe size?

Mr. P.

Proposed:  Asm headders, H/F cats, 2 magnaflows, side exit.  (true dual) 2.5"

Reasoning...With a FI set-up I figured the more free-flowing the better.  I figured the X pipe is now just a restriction as well as the "chambered" flowmaster mufflers.  I will still keep it all at 2.5 though.  Funds are limited and going 3" stainless all the way will add up quick.

Any comments?  I am still on the fence with this.  :sigh:

Keep the x-pipe. If you do decide to do hi-flo cats, spend the extra money for true hi-flo ones. Don't get the $40 0n ebay. I would go with a Random Technologies cat, or the ones they sell at RPMoutlet.com. For the most part, other than those and maybe one or two others, a new cat will not flow very much different than the stock cats. R/T sells ones with stainless cores.

...got to be pc...

No you don't :D

I don't think I've seen *any* catback kit that comes with x-pipe.

Related question for others - is is right that there is actually a 'correct' place to install an x-pipe, you don't just slap it in anywhere in the plumbing but instead at a calculated spot from the header flanges depending on displacement and primary pipe size?

Mr. P.

That is something that I am curious about. I have an X-pipe to install in front of the two Spintech mufflers that I am going to have installed as soon as I can find a shop that doesn't want to charge me $450+ for the installation. What would this ideal location be for noise reduction??

OK, so are all you guys running no cats? Or are you just running the x-pipe after the cats? For you guys with the radix... I assume most of you have headers. Are you running any cats with those? I live in NM with no pollution testing, etc. Should I just get rid of the cats when I do my magnaflow or corsa?

A Radix and no cats would just be knarley (sp?). My 410 with gutted cats is bad enough. Can't imagine what a Radix, L/Ts, and no cats would be like. My Radix and long tube combo was nasty enough.

Archived