Shopping Spree....

dcairns

Went on a shopping spree...

JDM Lightning heat exchanger. Should be amusing to have parts intended for a Lightning in my SS.

Two Perma-cool 8" electric fans for the heat exchanger.

Sliding rear window (clear). Between the dark rear window on my shell, the dark rear window of the cab and the somewhat dim rear view mirror, I can barely see what is behind me!

Velvet ride Shackles. What the heck, I guess I get to be the Guinea pig and see how they work on the SS.

Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. I know anti-sway bars are good stuff. Adding one to the rear will reduce body roll on corners

Wow, that was a quick $1200

I better hide this stuff as it comes in so the wife won't get wind of it :P Good thing most if it is invisible once installed :jester:

How did the Lightning intercooler work?

I don't have the heat exchanger yet, I just ordered it. The heat JDM heat exchanger is about 3 times larger than the stock Lightning heat exchanger (the stock Lightning exchanger is twice the size of the Magnacharger heat exchanger). While none of them can get the water temperature cooler than the ambient air temp, the larger heat exchanger will cool down the water faster, allowing the system to "recover" quicker from a full throttle blast. Since I am seeing water temps around 30 degrees above ambient air temperature without "using" the supercharger, it stands to reason I will be able to lower that starting temperature with more cooling area. Also, the increased amount of water in the system should reduce temperature spikes as it takes longer to heat up a larger volume of water. The other nice thing is the new heat exchanger will mount in the lower grill opening and I will be able to remove the Magnacharger heat exchanger from it's position in front of the transmission cooler. It has been masking the airflow for the transmission cooler and making it run a bit warmer than it otherwise did. Cooler transmission temps are a good thing.

Depending on how well this theory works in the real world, someone here may want to buy my old Magnacharger heat exchanger and mount both of them in the lower grill opening and double their cooling capacity (electric fans would be in needed).

I was wondering if you were going to go with the JDM intercooler after the big article in Sport Truck magazine. I'd be very interested in how you actually mount, and if any special mounting bracket needs to be made. Do you know if you have manual control of the fans?

Sounds like the back window was pretty expensive?

I didn't see the article in Sport Truck, I will have to check out the article. I have just been snooping around at www.nloc.com and www.f150online.com (Lightning section). They have some good pics of their installs. I will have to fabricate my own mounting system, but it should not be too hard. As for the fans, I still need to decide how to actuate them. A temp sensor on the heat exchanger or some means of sensing air velocity (fans on when the truck is going slow or stopped) or just have them on all the time when the key is on (easy way :) ).

Yeah, go in to the store to get the back window, walk out with all kinds of other stuff... I did give the guys at JBM www.sporttruckingstore.com a hard time about not having the picture of the SS grill on their website, so the guy rand back and said they just put it up there, and sure enough , it is there

SS Grill

It was actually in the Sept. issue of Truckin'. Page 54. The article talked about how the L, during prestaging at 1/4 miles or stoplights :D had issues with poor airflow through the stock intercooler's heat exchanger. This is what pushed the production of the intercooler you purchased. It's made by SVC Motorsports, or at least it says they helped produce it. Says it gave another 10hp.

I came across an interesting cooling product called a Cryogenic Intake System in a 2003 Performance Corner magazine. I haven't heard anything about this product but it might be something to consider if you want a really effecient intercooler. Here is what the article says: "The CryO2 Intercooler Sprayer mounts directly to the front of the intercooler or after-cooler and vents the liquid CO2 directly onto the cooling fins thus enhancing the intercooler by more than 50%." It's made by DEi, you may want to look into this Dave. Just a suggestion..

It's a new product so I don't think there is much literature out there on it. My question is, how often to you have to refill the CO2 bottle?

Dale Earnhardt Incorporated (DEi)?
I like it Ben.

Archived