Plug Wires

geomcrider

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NGK Iridium plugs are some damn fine plugs... all I woulld run if I were you. I even run NGK's in my lawn mower's and weed eaters! I put a set of Iridiums in my 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R and it runs awesome!

I'm talking about the AC Delco Iridium plugs, not NGK. Why would GM install NGK's and not use "their" brand? That seems odd to me. I just have never had any good luck with any plugs other that AC Delcos in my rides(all chevys and one pontiac GTP). Just my 2 cents. Later

Dave

I'm talking about the AC Delco Iridium plugs, not NGK. Why would GM install NGK's and not use "their" brand? That seems odd to me. I just have never had any good luck with any plugs other that AC Delcos in my rides(all chevys and one pontiac GTP). Just my 2 cents. Later

Dave

:withstupid: Same here. Don't get me wrong, NGK makes a fine product, but they cost a bit more, and the performance gains didn't make up for the cost over AC Delco, in my experience. That was several years ago on carbed applications, though.

Dave

GM switched to NGK and Denso plugs on some of their Gen III V8's. The Delco plugs are just as good. I have a repair shop and I only use Delco plugs in all other GM vehicles, I have found that the other plugs especially Bosch are not compatable with GM ignition systems, but the NGK and Denso plugs are made for GM and will work with the older systems.

Dave

:withstupid: Same here. Don't get me wrong, NGK makes a fine product, but they cost a bit more, and the performance gains didn't make up for the cost over AC Delco, in my experience. That was several years ago on carbed applications, though.

You must be talking about iridium plugs, because a regular AC plug vs a regular NGK plug costs more for the AC. Regular NGKs, non-iridium, cost about $1.25.

Iridium plugs, standard on '04 and above SSs, are great plugs. I would not swap out those plugs, IMHO. Iridium plugs will last you a lot longer than standard NGKs or standard ACs.

Dave

You must be talking about iridium plugs, because a regular AC plug vs a regular NGK plug costs more for the AC. Regular NGKs, non-iridium, cost about $1.25.

Iridium plugs, standard on '04 and above SSs, are great plugs. I would not swap out those plugs, IMHO. Iridium plugs will last you a lot longer than standard NGKs or standard ACs.

Actually this was probably 15+ years ago back when I had my GTO. AC plugs were a buck a piece, and NGKs were 1.75-2.00 a piece. I'm sure it's different now with EFI, hotter ignitions, ect.

Btw, do the MSD wires make that much of a difference?

I'm gonna stick with AC, I also had a bad experience with the Bosch plugs. NGK's may be ok, but those AC irridium plugs sound good to me. Maybe denso or NGK plugs are better than AC...I don't believe that, not at least without some evidence of some kind. Just cause they run great in a Honda or weedeater dosen't mean my truck will like them. (Or me for that matter) I guess that's why they make more than one brand :D Later

Dave

Everybody does it differently. I like the NGK because they have the fine wire center electrode made of iridium, it doesn't impede flame propagation, and they don't foul. My stock plugs from the factory are NGK's

Denso has a smaller wire, but I feel that too small may not last as long or I may break a tip off installing them. Both are good. The AC's will be better than the stock plug, and for damn sure better than anything made by Champion! :lol:

Whatever you choose, don't forget to put dielectric grease on the boot and tip of the plug and use a dab of neverseize on the threads. JUST A DAB though. You don't want it on the plug's working end! Be careful gapping them too. Iridiums are very delicate!

Good Luck!

This is just my guess, but I think the factory chose the NGK's because they have the best chance of making it 100,000 (neglected) miles. All this goes out the window if you change your ignition system or use FI; as long as you are still naturally aspirated and using the factory ignition keep using the OEM plug. And from my own experience I agree with a lot with what others have seen - the NGK product is really solid, and the premium AC Delcos are good performers too. I've never run the Densos, so I dunno. I have used Autolites in GM applications before and they actually work ok but the NGK and Delcos are better. And I would not run either the Champion or Bosch plugs even in my lawn mower :puke:

The MSD wire is a fantastic piece, and if you are using hotter coils or CD ignition they (or a like product) are a must. I have used the premium Taylor wires in the past and they are actually a pretty darned product especially at the price and *probably* would be my choice on a factory ignition just for cost's sake. I have used the Crane wires before but that was 10 years back, they worked ok until the silicone jacket broke down from the engine heat and then they leaked energy like a sieve, at night you could see the glow from the wires grounding to the heads :lol:

Mr. P.

Archived