another friggin sub thread

Ok well looks like its time for me to grab up a newer system. I was figuring I would have some decent cash to throw at this thing but a few speed bumps came along the way and I wont have as much cash as i would like to throw down as of now. I have been looking around and wanted some options from you guys. Anyone ever hear the MTX MXS line of woofers? I guess there considered part of the superwoofer line up for MTX but have never heard them before. Any input? Also considering some Diamond audio D3's but the MTX's just look like they will out slam them but once again never heard them before, 6.0ss seems to live and die by diamond audio so i know there prob good :D . This is more of a temporary solution till I get my crap together and am able to throw something better in there. As for the amp, either going to be an audiobahn A8000t or and Orion HCCA 2500 amp i belive it is. In storage right now, dont have exact model. Just thought someone may have some input for me. Other opinions are welcome of course. Not trying to spend a crapload of money right now, thats in the future.

I've always loved Rockford Fosgate for their subs and amps... for the price they're hard to beat. My brother just squeezed a pair of RF P3 12's under the seat of his SS and they sound great.

My Bostons absolutely KICKASS!!

Just my $.02 :thumbs:

your boston are also out of the price range I can handle right now. I can get them MTX MXS subs pretty cheap and the diamond D3's I can get semi cheap as well.

I have that single 10 MTX 4500 right now and its pretty decent for a lower end 10" sub. Thats why I want to know about the MXS line, they look to be pretty heavy duty

did he have to raise the seat for them P3's to fit?

This is a subjective opinion - I've never really liked how the MTX products perform; I'm not saying they sound bad but they've always been kind of weak. What's your price range, maybe some of the guys here can suggest a good set?

Mr. P. :)

your boston are also out of the price range I can handle right now.  I can get them MTX MXS subs pretty cheap and the diamond D3's I can get semi cheap as well.

I have that single 10 MTX 4500 right now and its pretty decent for a lower end 10" sub.  Thats why I want to know about the MXS line, they look to be pretty heavy duty

did he have to raise the seat for them P3's to fit?

They didn't have to raise the seat, but they did have to do a partial fiberglass box (same as I did with mine) to conserve some space for clearance on top and bottom. The Fosgate 10's will fit without raising the seat and with a standard box. I would recommend the RF subs over the MTX's for sure... and you can get 10" RF's starting at $69.99 each for P1 up to $199.99 for P3's.

Well, Joe (6.0ss) has probably already tainted me as well.... :D

I use to have a JL12W0 in my truck (before I blew it up....), and Joe talked me into getting the D3. I will say that is have been a very good sub, and performed much better than the JL. I personally would have to give my D3 a big :thumbs: !

I've been out of the car audio arena for a while but a comment on the Orion HCCA: Don't you have to show the amp a load of like 0.5 Ohm in order for it to deliver its highest output (unregulated power supply)? I know the 225HCCA was like that,...I ran one for a while. Very nice amp. Just a consideration before pulling the string on some subs. Know how you will be wiring them ahead of time. :driving:

They didn't have to raise the seat, but they did have to do a partial fiberglass box (same as I did with mine) to conserve some space for clearance on top and bottom. The Fosgate 10's will fit without raising the seat and with a standard box. I would recommend the RF subs over the MTX's for sure... and you can get 10" RF's starting at $69.99 each for P1 up to $199.99 for P3's.

I actually planned on doing some fiberglassing to the box when i built it anyways, i'm an ebay whore so I can prob find them RF subs pretty cheap, i'll look into them. I remember before a lot of people praised the MTX lineup so I was just tryin to hear anymore info, oh well

Well, Joe (6.0ss) has probably already tainted me as well.... :D

I use to have a JL12W0 in my truck (before I blew it up....), and Joe talked me into getting the D3.  I will say that is have been a very good sub, and performed much better than the JL.  I personally would have to give my D3 a big  :thumbs: !

Do you have one D3 in there or two and how many watts you got pushing them

I've been out of the car audio arena for a while but a comment on the Orion HCCA:  Don't you have to show the amp a load of like 0.5 Ohm in order for it to deliver its highest output (unregulated power supply)?  I know the 225HCCA was like that,...I ran one for a while.  Very nice amp.  Just a consideration before pulling the string on some subs.  Know how you will be wiring them ahead of time.  :driving:

I cant remember if thats the exact model or not, I dont think it has to be shown .5ohms for it full power, i think i had it ran at 1ohm back in the day pushing around 1000watss rms, like I said i have to look into it more since its stored away. I also have a PG amp XS2500 that was badass but a transistor fried somewhere on the board and I havent been able to track it down. I have so many old amps floatin around so i have a decent amount of options, ijust have to find the box there stored in at the storage unit :dunno:

Mtx isn't bad unless it's the 4500...my opinon...P1 or P2 are shit (plastic cracks on cone or foam surround separtes)...I see more brought back or guys coming from just returning them at best buy to buy some MTX 5500 or 7500s (or hell even 9500)...only bad thing is that they require a higher box voume to perform at their best compaired to most subs.

For instance the 7500 12" you'd only want to run one if you were squezzing a box under the seat in back. but it'd allow you to run the sub in parallel to the amp so it'd see a 2 ohm load.

but i'm a bad example of extreme going over the top .... I went for the cheapest amount but one that'd give systems 5X as much cost a run for their money

I don't do quality...I do quantity, instead of 1 or 2 subs I did 8...yeah no one can sit in the back...but i'm used to that...I had a s10 prior to the SS

Don't get discouraged ... they are great subs (according to my stereo guy 3-4 months ago) those 10's should sound perfect in your truck ... especially considering the type of music you listen to. Not the best for country and rap but will stomp hard for fast rock and metal.

I ALMOST went with Alpine Type R or X subs... (Just could not get them in time for some of the shows early this summer) (alpine is having back order issues)

They are great subs and love to play loud and clean.

I Do love Diamond audio, but I was happier with my A/D/S when I had it.. some day I will pony up the cash,, sell all of my diamond stuff and get back into A/D/S

A/D/S page

Diamond Home Page

But another great go low and love it sub that sounds great are Eclipse subs. had them for a while in a 99 dodge ram. a single SEALED 12 was hitting 129db!! :D

So they are good too

Eclipse

JL makes a great High end sub (w6 and W7) but when you get into the w3's and w'0's the Diamond is a better product at that price point. with the M3 and the M6 subs.

I have seen to many kicker subs fry to recommend them (but they do play loud)

Really.. my top 8 Speaker choices

Diamond

ADS

MB Quart

Focal

OZ audio

Boston

Cliff design

Eclipse

my Top 8 Amp Choices

Phoenix Gold

Alpine

Focal, (known as Audison)

Diamond

ADS (was one of the cleanest amps on the market for years)

Crossfire

JL

Eclipse

Archived