Zippy broke my tranny!!!

I recently upgraded my shift kit from a Transgo to a Zippy kit with all the trimmings. I only drove the truck twice before those good, firm shifts broke the damn thing!! :mad: I must have gotten one of the weakest 4L65's that GM sent out!! Anyway I was at a stoplight when a guy in a Harley Davidson F-150 pulls up and starts to rev his engine, so when the light turned green, I just stomped it and at the 2-3 shift the tranny went, and I no longer had power :cry:. Oh well, after I pulled to the shoulder in disgust the guy in the Harley just drove by laughing. So now I can drive the truck as long as I shift it manually. Guess I'm going to have to start that high performance rebuild way ahead of schedule!! :( So for now, the SS has been placed on I.R.!

ah, you must have the vortech on yours if i recall. sounds like the forward sprag gave way on ya. :( on these trucks it's a fine line between killing the frictions and breaking parts. all you can do is just try to keep that in between area.

Don't feel so bad I had 3 bad ones in a row when I had my SS. This why I went with the VHO this time it'll just break the rear tires lose when the pressure gets too great :D IMO the VHO/2wd SS doesn't need a shift kit they shift much much firmer than an AWD SS. :thumbs:

Don't feel so bad I had 3 bad ones in a row when I had my SS. This why I went with the VHO this time it'll just break the rear tires lose when the pressure gets too great :D  IMO the VHO/2wd SS doesn't need a shift kit they shift much much firmer than an AWD SS. :thumbs:

Do you use tow/haul? Mine seems to die on the 1-2 shift

Don't feel so bad I had 3 bad ones in a row when I had my SS. This why I went with the VHO this time it'll just break the rear tires lose when the pressure gets too great :D  IMO the VHO/2wd SS doesn't need a shift kit they shift much much firmer than an AWD SS. :thumbs:

if i remember right two of them didn't even make 100 miles...

on the opposite end of the scale just about every truck at the zippy event had my kit and we had zero trans failures at the track...

ah, you must have the vortech on yours if i recall. sounds like the forward sprag gave way on ya.  :( on these trucks it's a fine line between killing the frictions and breaking parts. all you can do is just try to keep that in between area.

Yeah, that's me, just got to build the damn thing I guess!! :dunno:

Do you use tow/haul? Mine seems to die on the 1-2 shift

Nope!!

on the opposite end of the scale just about every truck at the zippy event had my kit and we had zero trans failures at the track...

LOL your right and one even exploded on the tech who had just installed it! :crackup:

LOL your right and one even exploded on the tech who had just installed it! :crackup:

Thats hella funny bro about the tech.that sucks about the trans though :banghead:

I broke 3 built trans and the factory one with a shift kit in 10k miles. I bought a flp level 5 and put in the 408 and havn't broke anything yet with almost 6k miles on it. After I up the hp with the new setup we will see how it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived