Help me out here...

Usually a fade, once the pressure has been applied to the pedal is from the master cylinder bypassing. But, I don't think that is your problem. I would think that somewhere it's bleeding off. Not 100% sure if it's possible to leak pressure without leaking fluid, but maybe.

If your damage was in the rear, did you check where the main line comes back to the axle? It's more to the driver's side and supplies the two rear lines with fluid. Has your fluid level gone down any?

• 4 weeks later...

Bad brake hoses can cause a spongy pedal. They will kind of balloon out when pressure is applied to them and they absorb the energy sent from the master cyl. Also spongy brakes can be caused by a caliper that is stuck on the slide ie slides are corroded. Good luck.

Dave

GM has always had iusses with there master cylinders, I've replaced many. If you are loosing pressure and no fluid, chances are the master cylinder is bypassing internally. I have had some where the customer has jammed on the brake in an emergency case like you and one of the check valves get stuck, I've been able to get some unstuck by tapping (with a hammer lightly) on the side of the m/cylinder towards the front while having someone pressing the brake pedal (not pushing it to the floor).

If it was a bad brake hose you normally would get a brake pull to one side or another.

I experience that spongy feel once in a while (brakes still stock),, usually after a long cruise on the highway,, when getting off at an exit,, only happened a couple of times,, but will definately wake u up when u have a short off ramp.. with merging traffic...

Archived