to gut or not to gut?

HOLSTEIN

went to the local muffler shop today and "bubba" told me that there is no real diff between a stock convert and a free flowing? i really dont know much about cats but i say :icon_bs: ... i also talked to a friend who questioned the fact about gutting the cat, (no sniffers here in WV) but would that make the check engine light come on? (o2 sensor)

i know someone has tried gutting the cat convert, if so give me some feedback....

thanks

The flow of a stock cat is about the same or better than most aftermarket cats. There are no gains from gutting or removing your cats. There actually might be some mileage loss in doing so, being that cats are to help fuel burn :dunno: but I dont know.

i see what you are saying, i guess that it would just help get the exhaust out faster... old timers used to do it alot but the again that was before all the computers under the hood.....

if i am not mistaken someone on the site has "GUTTED CATS" on there sig

I think it was Mr. P the stealth cat as he called it.. Most of the old timers used carbs, and when you removed cats you would get gains. I know I have an older carbed motor that got about 5 hp from cat removal.

well, i can say we've done the test on a silverado SS. there was less than a tenth gain in the quarter and this was a supercharged truck. the stock cats flow pretty good and aren't worth messing with. just leave them alone.

I took the converters off a mustang saleen I had and let me tell you there was a big difference not sure the gain but, it was noticeable also very cool rumbling sound btw it wasn't carburated just my 2 cents.

Also when I installed the flowmaster on my sss it I started it without the muffler got to say that it looks like they're not to restrictive I'll leave mine alone this time ..

Archived