diameter of muffler ends

usmcchevyss

Hi guys. I am new to the site. I have been using the search function a lot. It has come in very handy. I was wondering, what is the size of the muffler ends on the stock mufflers. I am just looking to replace the stock muffler right now, until I can get a full system, header back. are they 2.25, 2.50 or 3.00.

Thanks for the help

Bryan

yup 2.75 diameter, i have a hooker aerochamber on now, dual 2.5 in and single 3" out which I had them cut the stock muffler off at the Y where the dual pipes go inot a single and weld it up. I believe its easier to use a 2.5" inlet to weld up :dunno:

My truck felt much better after the muffler. One thing I noticed about the stock Y is that it chokes it down to 3" for some reason, then opens back up to 3.5. This was all replaced on mine because I bought the Flowmaster kit that comes out of the back of the muffler 3.5". I think the muffler design has more to do with the drone than if it is restrictive. Mine has a drone to it, too, but I kinda like the sound overall so I live with it. That 3.5" stock tailpipe on our trucks kinda acts like an echo chamber and amplifies the sound as it travels through. None of this may matter, I am not an expert, but I always subscribe to the theory of less restriction has got to be better on the engine for power and gas mileage.

Archived