Cam question

I'm just in the thinking phase right now, but what kind of gains could I look at with a good cam? I have a tune from Bryan at PCM 4 Less, and a K&N high flow filter. Otherwise, she's bone stock. I wouldn't mind sacrificing a little mileage for power, but I don't want to be getting 10 mpg on the highway either. Any suggestions? Can an average joe with a little engine building experience install a cam??

Brian

If you have good mechanical abilities you can do it but if you have any doubts about doing it, I would not try it. It's not terribly difficult but it's not something the average Joe should try but if you have built a few engines as long as you take you time you should not have any trouble.

You can get anywhere from 20-30 RWHP or more from a cam. You can do it. If I can do it, you can do it. All I ever did before my cam install was change my oil. Helps if you have a wrench-turner or two though, to help. :driving:

ok, ive searched and searched and can never find an answer as to what cam should be used for a basically stock ss with only a pcm. Everyone always wants to know what one for a radix. So guys what cam should be used? and do you have to replace the pushrods or springs or rockers as well?

ok, ive searched and searched and can never find an answer as to what cam should be used for a basically stock ss with only a pcm.  Everyone always wants to know what one for a radix.  So guys what cam should be used? and do you have to replace the pushrods or springs or rockers as well?

Springs are a must (Comp 918's or GM LS6 springs), pushrods are not a necessity (but most everyone does it while they're in there), and don't mess with the rockers.

The Comp 212/218, .559/.563 and the Vinci 210/218, .551/.551 are both good cams for a stock SS.

ok, ive searched and searched and can never find an answer as to what cam should be used for a basically stock ss with only a pcm.  Everyone always wants to know what one for a radix.  So guys what cam should be used? and do you have to replace the pushrods or springs or rockers as well?

ive got 918s and retainers for sale :D

Go to LS1 how-to and read the directions.

I considered myself a little above avg, but it's a piece of cake. Read over it and you'll see that there is nothing hard to it, unless you're a puss like Makani :P . That's just a gig on him, not you if you don't want to do it.

I would look for one a little bigger. Like somewhere in the 218/224 range, but a stall converter will be needed the bigger you get.

My blanket suggestion is.....I'm sure everyone could fill in the blank. Call Futral Motorsports and talk to Allan or shoot him an email from this website FMS. Let him know what your setup is, what you do with it (ie towing sometimes....), and where you plan to go with it. If you do, come back and let us know what he recommends - he's a cam expert.

On here you'll get recs for mostly off the shelf grinds which are pretty generic, but will give good power gains. Not bad, I just think it's better to have it custom designed, although that design may not be much different than any suggestion from here.

The article is for a f-body swap, but all pretty much applies. Nothing left out to do it for a truck.

Go to LS1 how-to and read the directions.

I considered myself a little above avg, but it's a piece of cake.  Read over it and you'll see that there is nothing hard to it, unless you're a puss like Makani :P .  That's just a gig on him, not you if you don't want to do it.

I would look for one a little bigger.  Like somewhere in the 218/224 range, but a stall converter will be needed the bigger you get.

My blanket suggestion is.....I'm sure everyone could fill in the blank.  Call Futral Motorsports and talk to Allan or shoot him an email from this website FMS.  Let him know what your setup is, what you do with it (ie towing sometimes....), and where you plan to go with it.  If you do, come back and let us know what he recommends - he's a cam expert. 

On here you'll get recs for mostly off the shelf grinds which are pretty generic, but will give good power gains.  Not bad, I just think it's better to have it custom designed, although that design may not be much different than any suggestion from here.

The article is for a f-body swap, but all pretty much applies.  Nothing left out to do it for a truck.

This message brought to you by Futral Motorsports, where Ben, I mean Allan does you right :P

I know everybody has there own opinion on what cam to use. My last truck was a 97 Z71 w/350, I installed a set of fast burn heads and a healthy cam nothing to radical but it had a noticable lope (you could tell I installed a cam). Well long story short the truck fell on its face when you stomped it. Trying figure out why this happen, I called Crane Cams tech who advised me that on an emissions controlled vehicle (OBD II) you can only use a smooth ildling cam. Well the only one I could use was a few steps about stock and the truck ran great, I had other mods (exhaust, intake, etc). Yes I have installed performance cams before. I am going to install one soon on my SS, but I am going with Z06 performce cam. It's not radical but it will give me a little extra perfomance without any major tuning concerns or MPG lost. It will work with the radix because they have one for the Z06 and dont have any tuning issues. If I'm not mistaken that is the cam used in the LS2 6.0L w/405hp.

Opinions welcomed :thumbs:

Archived