Thermostat questions

Holty

I'm looking at the Predetor programming module on tbyrnemotorsports website. It gives you an option to purchase a thermostat with the programmer in like a package deal. I know cooler engine temps will help, but are there any draw backs to using a cooler stat like a 160degree? Any harm to be done here? is it worth the extra $129??? this truck is my daily driver, through winter and summer, so i need reliability. thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, thats what i was saying,...$129!! is outrageous!

after searching more on this topic, so many have said it WON'T hurt anything as long as you do a tune with it....does that mean custom tune or programmer like the predator?

you say it will cause premature engine wear and worse gas mileage? if thats the case, why would anyone do it?

:confused: isn't it heat that cuses mechanical breakdowns? if puttong a larger tranny cooler on your transmission increases tranny life, wouldnt it prove true that a cooler running engine would last longer? im not stating, iam asking because it seems to make sense but i could be wrong!!!!! Also why would youre mileage take a hit????

Korey

after searching more on this topic, so many have said it WON'T hurt anything as long as you do a tune with it....does that mean custom tune or programmer like the predator?

you say it will cause premature engine wear and worse gas mileage?  if thats the case, why would anyone do it?

You DO NOT "need" a new tune for changing a t-stat!! I don't care what you've read.

A '05 could use one to adjust turn-on temps for the fans, but even they don't "need" one.

you say it will cause premature engine wear and worse gas mileage?  if thats the case, why would anyone do it?

You DO NOT "need" a new tune for changing a t-stat!! I don't care what you've read.

A '05 could use one to adjust turn-on temps for the fans, but even they don't "need" one.

let me re-phrase that statement. what i meant was, going to a lower temp stat will not help or hurt unless you have a tune done, then it will help. my biggest concern is with the person above who stated possible engine wear and loss of mpg's.

let me re-phrase that statement.  what i meant was, going to a lower temp stat will not help or hurt unless you have a tune done, then it will help.  my biggest concern is with the person above who stated possible engine wear and loss of mpg's.

A lower temp stat will still lower your engine temps with or without a tune. Any detrimental effects, if any, will still happen with or without a new tune. A lower stat temp has very little to do with a tune. Some areas in the tune can be improved because you have lowered it, but even then, they are minute changes.

is it just me or are too many people trying to overthink this thermostat thing??? :banghead: almost every truck on here with a few mods has one done. yeah, they must be bad for the truck, that's why their doing them. :nonod:

as for the price, i'd hope that if you found a thermostat for 129 bucks that it should install itself and talk you through driving in the morning... :dunno:

I agree with you. Somehow it is the belief, and this is not the first time it has been mentioned, that you need to tell the PCM that you have this new t-stat or your truck won't run right. It is just a mechanical valve that opens when a given temperature is reached. The PCM does not open it up, or something :dunno:

The PCM is a pretty sophisticated device, but not that sophisticated. It doesn't talk to the t-stat, nor does it take a sampling of oil for your oil life monitor. It only takes input for the sensors that are on the motor, or connected somehow, and adjust to the samples taken.

is it just me or are too many people trying to overthink this thermostat thing??? :banghead: almost every truck on here with a few mods has one done. yeah, they must be bad for the truck, that's why their doing them.  :nonod:

as for the price, i'd hope that if you found a thermostat for 129 bucks that it should install itself and talk you through driving in the morning... :dunno:

:crackup::crackup:

that's pretty funny right there. for that price I would ask the stat to tune my truck lol.

You don't need a tune as many have said. some tuners will adjust your tune if you have a 160 stat to add more timing. I really don't see the lower stat casuing any more engine wear than the normal stock stat. My temps are a little lower during normal driving, but when I drive it hard the temp is around the 210 mark like it was before the new stat. I would find a better price on the stat. The 2003 require a different stat than the 2004 & 2005 models. Max price should be $50 for a 2003 model. :cheers:

The goal of a t-stat is to let the engine run at its normal operating tempature. Lets say you put in a 160 t-stat, the vehicles pcm "will not" go into closed loop until it reaches @190 or above. Closed loop is when the pcm actually starts to change things, ie. timing, injector pulse width, etc. Prior to 190 degrees, known as open loop, the computer uses preset calibrations and substitutes certain sensors so that it can get to @190 degrees or above. The goal of this is emissions. On any vehicle, if the pcm does not reach closed loop, your performance and milege will suffer, you will kill the catalytic convertors (the vehicle runs slightly rich in open loop to warm up faster)and not to mention in some states that have emissions, the vehicle will not pass a IM240 emission test, ie colorado, caly, etc. If you have electric fan(s), it really does not matter, the vehicle will still exceed 160, and the pcm stratagy alone controls the fans, ie. operating tempature. So, in short, If you want the vehicle to run cooler, for any reason, and it has a mechanical fan, you must reprogram the pcm so it will go into closed loop sooner. If you have a vehicle with electric fans, you should reprogram the pcm for both lower temp closed loop operation and to turn on the fans at a lower temp to get the benifit of installing the cooler t-stat. Just a note, I am not sure if a vehicle with a cooler t-stat and a lower closed loop operation will still pass a IM240 emission test, don't have them here in florida, thank god. That is a pretty hard damn test for a vehicle. All component, comprehensive, or other monitors in the pcm must run and pass. Just because it does not trip a check engine light, does not mean that all is well in pcm land. My .02 cents, I would use a lower t-stat, and reprogram with some of the guys they recommend on here, not a hand held. If you are in a state with a stringent emission test, I would make sure I could undo anything just to pass the test. P.S. $129 is insane for a t-stat.

Archived