Intercooler Heat Exchanger Upgrade

Thought I would start a thread on this and add pics as I go.

Now I just have to figure out how to mount the thing. I am glad it has those big tabs on top and some holes on the bottom panel. In the other pic, you can see the plastic "buttons" that must mount to something on a Lightning. After I figure out how to mount it, I need to make some ducting to keep the air coming in the lower grill from going around the heat exchanger.

HPIM0604.JPG

Dual electric fans :cool: Just need to figure out how to activate them. It is easy enough to have them on all the time, but I would like to shut them down at highway speeds.

HPIM0601.JPG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually the JDM is $465 (Johnny Lightning has one for about $430). The fans were extra, got them from Jegs.

It will be interesting to see if the Lightning guys are horrified or amused to see Lightning parts in a Chevy :jester:

Well, first problem didn't take long to materialize. The size of the heat exhcanger that JDM quoted over the phone must have been the funtional part, not the overall dimensions. :(

The outside dimensions are 25 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 3 1/2 The problem dimension is the width. The exchanger just barely fits between the frame rails, but the mounting "ears" keep it from getting up there. I thought about mounting it upside down, but in the end, thought I could chop the ears down. So abot 8 cut-off wheels and an overheating dremel later...

HPIM0608.JPG

But it now fits between the frame rails and looks like there is some solid metal to mount it to. Off tot he hardware store to figure out how to attach things.

The view from the bottom, looking up. Sorry it is a bit blurry, I have the camera in a zip-lock baggie due to greasy fingers :D.

HPIM0610.JPG

Because the plastic air/brush deflector winds up being so close, I think I am going to have to mount the fans on the front of the heat exchanger.

I still have to fabricate a brace to keep things stable in a front to back direction. A aluminum brace from the bottom of the heat exchanger to the bottom bolts of the air/brush deflector should do the trick.

HPIM0609.JPG

Dave,

Here is the intercooler I referred to in previous posts, it's from sport truck direct's Lightning page:

SVC MotorSports Interchiller

If you look at the page too long, you may forget what you went there for originally :crazy:

Yeah, I have seen those fans before...somehow the picture is hard to forget :jester: There is not enough room behind the heat exchanger to mount that thing, and I think it is for a stock Lightning heat exchanger too, not the oversized JDM.

As it stands now, I could just barely slip the fans on the back side, but would have to cut the air/brush deflector a bit. The other option is to mount them on the front of the heat exchanger. Fortunately the Perma-cool fans are reversible by unbolting the fan and flipping it over. They say that when you mount the fans in a pusher configuration, you get 80% of the air flow that a puller configuration would give. And I would still like to figure a way to mount the fans without resorting to the "through the fins" mounting kit. I hate the way those things mangle the fins and never felt good about the potential for wear on the tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the JDM installed yesterday and today I plumbed the hoses to it, and got the fans wired in. I have the fans controlled by a thermostatic switch and added a relay triggered by the "fuel pump on" wire that is activating intercooler pump and auxiliary fuel pump relays. I really need to get some sort of shop manual so I can get a wiring diagram. I just is not as easy as it used to be to find a "key on" live wire :sick: .

The JDM heat exchanger is a real tight fit. I am not sure I would recommend it for everyone, unless you enjoy doing contortions under the truck. All the same, I did get it in and made a fairly sanitary installation of it. The space between the frame rails has about an 1/8 inch per side to spare. The brush guard also puts some limits on the depth of things. I was able to squeeze the fans on the back side by cutting some of the brush guard off.

Now I need to clean up a couple bits of the wiring and fabricate a box between the heat exchanger and the lower grill opening, to keep air from going around. Anyone have any good ideas on what to use? Some sort of plastic sheet would be good.

Initial testing shows lower coolant temps, but that was after sunset, so I will have to give it a fair test tomorrow during the day. I did notice the coolant temps dropped back down much faster than before. So on that measure alone, it is a success.

I will get some pictures up when I get a chance.

Next up, the rear anti-sway bar... :D

What are you IAT's... Mine have run in the 120's to 130's with the outside air temps in the upper 70's to low 80's

I hope you saw a drop in IAT of at least 20 with all the work you put in..Thanks for the photos & keep up the good work :cheers: Keep me posted, if you don't see worth while results I may not install mine.

Thanks

I have not plugged the EFI Live into it yet to see. I was seeing similar IAT to your’s, in cruising state. The IAT gets up to 170 when doing repeated stomping ! Hopefully the JDM will help out here. If nothing else, the quicker recovery (cool down) should keep things from building up like that.

Archived