Lowering the BAD SS UPDATE

bad ss

Talked to Ground Force today, everything is going smoothly. the final drop numbers are 2"-2". He told me that the SS is sitting level. I had asked him to check the driveline for any marks and he said that there is a black ring around the driveline but it is not from rubbing up against anything. He told me that with the drop installed that there is 3-4" between the driveline and the crossmember. also they droped the suspension the whole way down and that there is still 1-2" between the driveline and the crossmember. I was wondering for all the people that have already dropped their SS, has anyone done anything with the rearend angle? they said that they had to shim the rear to get it back to factory specs. going to the alighnment shop monday and hopefully i get it back next week.

they actually installed new bump stops. yes they did lower it to the bump stops. I cant wait to see it. as for Ground Force, they have been wonderful to deal with. everytime i call the secretary and all the other people i have talked to have been the greatest. Kevin, who is the marketing director (also is the one who came and picked up my SS), always remarks about how grateful they are that i let them use my SS to develop a drop kit.

Before I lowered mine I had some driveline vibration around the 60-75 MPH range when I accelerated. After lowering it, it's still there so I took it into the dealership today to see what it could be. Of course the first answer was that it was modified and woudn't be under warranty. :fume:

Just out of curiousity I called Ground Force and they said they had the same problem but it was due to rear pinion angle and they are about 2 weeks from having it ready for production. They are having to shim the transmission and the rearend to get the right angle.

I told the dealership that if I had to I would put it back to stock and prove it does it at stock height. We'll see. Hopefully they will let me know today.

Yeah, I mentioned that a guy from the forum had his truck there for R&D.

Problem is I think I need the shimming now and not 2 weeks. I'll have to wait to see what the dealership says today. I can't believe that I'm the only one that lowered their SS that is having vibration problems. If it's only the rear angles then that doesn't bother me too much. I can do that. When it deals with the front axles to be at the right angle, I'm not so sure. I don't know if it can be done with moving the transfer case or if it has to do with alignment.

After doing some reading on the internet, I think pinion angle is the problem. Worst case I take off the shackles and tighten up the torsion bars until the kit is available. Depending on price I may not do it then. We'll have to see.

My last post was intended for ctrow. sorry about that LEE.

No sweat, bad. You had me scrambling there for a second trying to figure out what the hell you were talking about. :D

Hey bad ss,

Can you have them give me an email as soon as they get their R&D developed? Or you can just let me know.

It seems to be the only company making any lowering stuff for our trucks and I want to give their stuff a shot. ASAP.

Thanks,

Chris

Archived