Gas prices jumped 40+ cents overnight!!!

SS_bnoon_SS

Bottom line is this....  Don't buy a $40,000 pickup if you can just barely afford it right now.  Prices will go up.  Count on it.

Granted, this maybe a true statement, but come on. Premium has doubled in the last year. I can afford the truck and the gas, but that doesn't keep me from proclaiming my displeasure. I love my truck, and don't want to get rid of it. but when my gas bill doubles, that eats into my play money. After a point, my play money is more important than a >$3/gallon gas guzzler. I've driven more effecient vehicles before, and if things don't change, I will again.

I haven't gotten where I am in life by just paying exhubertant prices. I've managed my money well and taken advantages of good deals. ie, the SSS. However, as gas prices soar out of control, the good deal is gone. Too me, it's not just about the money, it's principle.

i'm with you on this one. it's not about the money, it's the simple principal of it. there is no reason for the price gouging.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed my point completely newb..

I couldn't afford a $40,000 truck at the time

Should've known that someone would bring those asinine arguments into it..

Newb... Nice. Very nice, and diplomatic...

Uh... I wasn't just talking about you. I guess I react differently. That's the great thing about America, wouldn't you say? I guess rather than belittling you, I'll sit here and take the licks.

I like the post Kaotik found. It seems to me that this is one of the most intelligent answers anyone has come up with.

Here's the deal. If you can't handle the gas prices, then what are you going to do? I guess I don't see walking, or biking as an option, as I live 15 miles from the nearest town. However, I choose to live out here. I choose to drive a $40,000 truck that gets 12 mpg. Again.... America.

Now I'm not saying that I love paying $3.19 a gal, but complaining to everyone about it is not helping anything. Come up with a viable alternative, and I'll hop on with you.

I can't take credit for that. It was sent to me by someone who works for Mobil, and doesn't like the high prices either. The only way to make it happen is to start passing the word around force them to drop and say low. I do own another truck it's a 4 banger that gets 25 mpg. Small tank only 12 gallons but 30 bucks will fill it, and I can drive my 40 miles to and from work.

I dont think saying "I have a 40,000 dollar truck, so I can afford anything" is the the correct aditude here. I got a good deal on my SS and the gas price at that time was around $1.70 a gal for top grade gas, tonight when I get home the stations are at $3.40 a gal for that same gas, which by the way was $2.79 a gal this morning. I have a good job making a nice pay check and spending $400 a month just to put gas in my truck or suv is taking away things I enjoy in life like going to the food store to get food to eat for the week.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that home heating bills are going to be out of the roof this winter and there will be a lot of people out there who will not be able to afford to turn their heat on and will end up dead.

How much money I make has nothing to do with it. I'm an enlisted man in the Navy, so how much I make should be considred as how little I make after doing it for 20+ years. Sorry if I belittled anyone, but I was not picking at what anyone makes.

Compassion? You're right, I don't have compassion for someone buying a gas gussler for a vehicle. Trucks are awesome and I will always have one, but the simple fact is they don't get good gas mileage. If you didn't know that, then....can't help you. I don't like it either, but complaining here doesn't make me feel any better about it. I complained to my sister about it a few months back and this is pretty much what she said to me and as much as I didn't like it - SHE WAS RIGHT.

Even when I bought my truck over 2 years ago, gas (premium) was $1.70 where I was. It's about $.90 more now than it was then. So for easy sake, let's just say that a tank cost me $25 more now than it did then. If I put in 4 tanks a month, $100. If buying this truck has made my money so tight that $100 more a month is killing me, then I would get rid of my truck and probably shouldn't have bought it - this is just what I would think of my truck. It would be hard, but I would do it.

I have a 2nd car that is mine. You do what you have to when your truck is broke and it's the only other vehicle in your family and your wife works. The fact that it gets 35mpg on the highway makes it easy for me, I guess. I have a choice. It's not the prettiest car as some on here can tell you, it doesn't look so cool, but it does the job.

Things could be worse.

If buying this truck has made my money so tight that $100 more a month is killing me, then I would get rid of my truck and probably shouldn't have bought it - this is just what I would think of my truck.  It would be hard, but I would do it.

Agreed.. I wasn't trying to say that buying this truck put me in some sort of predicament, just pissed off that I've had to cut back on other things or just park the truck for now.. It's not worth more than what my family deserves..

I also apologize for stepping on toes.. Like I said earlier, I should have chosen my words more wisely.. just getting really pissed off at this price gouging and a few things came out in anger.

I'll continue to complain, because I have the right to do so, and it's BS to have to pay this, no matter what we're driving.. :mad:

All day I have been running around FT Campbell and noticed huge lines at the Gas pumps on post. Didn't think much of it ($2.41-87OCT: $2.61-91OCT) until I left post that night (4 hours ago) and noticed gas prices right out the front gate at $2.89 (87) and $3.15 (91). I drove my ass right back on post and waited 45 minutes to top off. Military Police were posted at every Shoppette carding personnel for military or spouse ID cards. We have alot of contractor civilians that are not allowed to use of facilities (pumps in this matter). MP told me prices will increase 40-45 cents at midnight so the gas on post will pump til its gone. Once refilled, prices will increase tomorrow to the price I just mentioned (normally 10-15 cents lower than offpost due to our sales tax exemption).

Now it appears my new deployment to Iraq is a blessing in disquise. Pretty pitiful way to evade gas prices, I am sure :flag: .

1SG

This is what I get for reading the first few posts and jumping into mine. What a heated discussion brewed over gasoline. BenKey, I agree totally with your comments. Having served (and still serving) 20+ years in the US Army I feel the pain and disparity of enlisted pay v. commissioned pay. However, like you I am not compromising my standard of living by purchasing a truck I cannot afford. It just hurts the pocket to think a tank of gas just increased $10-12 dollars. Hell, that just means one less 12-pack.

You are right when you concluded with "it could be worse"---we could be in New Orleans where there is no gas, electricity, running water and all the other things so many of us take for granted-like freedom. Sorry about the soap box.

Iraq bound in a month' :flag:

1SG

This is what I get for reading the first few posts and jumping into mine. What a heated discussion brewed over gasoline. BenKey, I agree totally with your comments. Having served (and still serving) 20+ years in the US Army I feel the pain and disparity of enlisted pay v. commissioned pay. However, like you I am not compromising my standard of living by purchasing a truck I cannot afford. It just hurts the pocket to think a tank of gas just increased $10-12 dollars. Hell, that just means one less 12-pack.

You are right when you concluded with "it could be worse"---we could be in New Orleans where there is no gas, electricity, running water and all the other things so many of us take for granted-like freedom. Sorry about the soap box.

Iraq bound in a month' :flag:

1SG

I have a CSM in my class headed there also. He is a MP.

You take care over there. Keep your head down. Have you sent me the address of your unit? I know one person has, just can't remember who it was - I still have it. When I get back home plan to send you guys some things. Nothing major.

Most in the military have seen the bad and the worse. So we have a better comparison basis than most. I thank God nobody in my family is not in that area and even pray for the ones who are.

Keep that head on a swivel and keep up the good fight. :flag:

Sounds like a lot of you should have gotten something cheaper to drive if gas prices are killing you.  Didn't expect to gas to be $1.50-$2.00 forever did you?

Get a 2rd car that gets 30-35mpg and just drive the truck on weekends.

I thought people who owned SSS already have something else to drive because gas prices going up ain't nothing new. I know I do and like Mama said. "If you're gonna drive a 40K+ automobile you better not complain about no gas prices." That's why I love my $12K, 31 mpg city / 34 mpg hwy Scion XB. It's ugly, it's weak and chics digs it. :thumbs:

618817_2.jpg

My whole problem with this gas thing is that I feel like we are all being taken advantage of because gas is something we all need whether you drive or not, it affects everyone. I like others am parking the SS for a while, mine has been parked for a few months now but I have taken it out on the weekends to do short local trips so that I dont have to get gas.

When I see these gas prices jumping to what they are now, I am more worried about heating bills this winter. Last winter we had a couple months where the gas bill was $500 and if it is more then that this year, I guess the heat is going off and will freeze to death, literally.

Archived