kick panels and wiring question

Holty

im thinking about doing a second set of JL XR components in the kick panels in my '03 SS. but i'm not sure what the interior color is called to get the kick panel pods to match. I think it is grey or charcoal grey, but not sure? anybody help me out here?

also, i'll be running a JL Audio 300/4 amp, how should i wire the components to be on the front channel and run 2 4ohms, and the JL TR series 4X6's in the back to get 4ohms? thanks.

Just a quick Recap.

THe JL amp is 75X4 at 4ohm.

You have a set of speakers in the front doors and the rear doors?

And you want to add kick panel speakers up front.

Simply take the singnal that is going to the doors in the front and splice them for the kick panel speakers, It will drop your Ohm load through the circuit but the JL can take all the way to 1ohm stable and still play clean and hard.

Play your back speakers off of the other two channels in the amp.

Just a quick Recap.

Simply take the singnal that is going to the doors in the front and splice them for the kick panel speakers,  It will drop your Ohm load through the circuit but the JL can take all the way to 1ohm stable and still play clean and hard. 

yes, i realize this, but won't splitting off into another set of components in front change the impedance on both sets of components to two ohms?

Just a quick Recap.

Simply take the singnal that is going to the doors in the front and splice them for the kick panel speakers,  It will drop your Ohm load through the circuit but the JL can take all the way to 1ohm stable and still play clean and hard. 

yes, i realize this, but won't splitting off into another set of components in front change the impedance on both sets of components to two ohms?

The speakers don't change impedence this way. The load on the amp will change. If both component sets are 4 ohms, then you will have a 2ohm load on the amp. The JL will be fine with this, and will take it all day.

However, the question is why? In doing so, you split the power between the two sets. So instead of having 75 watts into one set, now you have 37.5 watts going into two sets.

Any purist will tell you, simplicity is the key, hence the KISS method. Put your current set in some nice correctly aimed kip panels. If that's not enough, put a second set of tweeters in the stock a pillar location and coss them over high. this will help bring your soundstage up in the truck. Overall, it will sound better.

:thumbs:

Just a quick Recap.

The speakers don't change impedence this way. The load on the amp will change. If both component sets are 4 ohms, then you will have a 2ohm load on the amp. The JL will be fine with this, and will take it all day.

However, the question is why? In doing so, you split the power between the two sets. So instead of having 75 watts into one set, now you have 37.5 watts going into two sets.

Any purist will tell you, simplicity is the key, hence the KISS method. Put your current set in some nice correctly aimed kip panels. If that's not enough, put a second set of tweeters in the stock a pillar location and coss them over high. this will help bring your soundstage up in the truck. Overall, it will sound better.

:thumbs:

Even better thake that amp you have and BRIDGE it to the front left and right and run the rears off the Bose amp, you will be surprised as to how phenominal them speakers will sound.! Just my opinion, but who am i?

well, i RESPECT your advice, but I REALLY REALLY want two sets of components in the front. I heard a GMC Yukon with two sets of JL XR components and it sounded AMAZING!!!!!!

Now, i figured since i already have the JL's XR's, i would put the diamonds down in the kick panels (q logic) and have a SICK front soundstage.

However, I can going to take your advice and run the two components up front with the JL 300/4, and run the 4X6's in the rear off the headunit.

I can't wait! having it done wednesday. I've always installed my own audio systems in every car i've ever owned, but they've always been more of a simpler setup. I'm leaving this one to the pro's.

Next will be an alarm w/ remote start.....any suggestions? I really like DEI stuff so....

well, i RESPECT your advice, but I REALLY REALLY want two sets of components in the front.  I heard a GMC Yukon with two sets of JL XR components and it sounded AMAZING!!!!!!

Now, i figured since i already have the JL's XR's, i would put the diamonds down in the kick panels (q logic) and have a SICK front soundstage. 

However, I can going to take your advice and run the two components up front with the JL 300/4, and run the 4X6's in the rear off the headunit.

I can't wait!  having it done wednesday.  I've always installed my own audio systems in every car i've ever owned, but they've always been more of a simpler setup.  I'm leaving this one to the pro's.

Next will be an alarm w/ remote start.....any suggestions?  I really like DEI stuff so....

DEI would be my recomendation! let us know how the audio goes!

• 3 weeks later...

Got the system down finally. Head unit is the alpine iva-d310 which is freakin awesome! i put my set of JL XR 6.5 components from my old truck in the doors running off the front channel of my jl 300/4, and a set of diamond audio d6 6.5 comps in the kicks running off the rear channel of the 300/4. then i put kicker 4x6's running off the headunit in the rear doors, and finally two jl 12w3v2 d2's running off a jl 500/1 in a subthump box. i must say, the sound is spectacular! thanks for all the help!

well, still messing with the confiuration of my system. i think it was a mistake running the rear door speakers off of my headunit. my rear fill seems to be over powering my front stage now. the more i listen to it, the crappier it sounds. I did find out that the diamond components crossovers have a "RAF" output, which is rear acoustic fill. I think i'm going to run my rear speakers from there instead of the head unit. The diamond components manual says it will drop them down 6db's and will not effect the impedance at all.

Also, i think i blew out one of my JL mid bass'. I still plays but i get alot of crackling/vibration coming from it. I couldn't find one off the net anywhere that sells just one midbass so i had my local shop order one, he said its gonna be about $80. Anyway, i'm just not real happy with the sound quality right now. I was at first, but the more i listen to different types of music, the more i can tell it's just not right yet.

Archived