TOG vs. JBA - What is the real difference?

TBSS

I've taken 04CHASE's pics and the pics over at JBA and resized them to match each other...essentially I've multiplied the JBA pics by 145% and I think I got them very close.

What I'd like to do is see the headers superimposed over each other so we can see the exact length difference between the two headers. Then if you headers guys can chime in with what you think this difference translates into...

So you Photoshop guys PM me your email addresses so I can send you the pics for a comparison. Can you make one of them translucent or something? I don't know, I'll just let you wizards do your thing... :D

Kevin, are you just looking on visual differences? You do not need the technical woking of a photoshop deal to see the differences. You can see it here:

148_0505_ss_02_s.jpg

Yes, the comparison is TOGs against stock manifolds, but if shorties will bolt right in place with no cutting/welding required, they are essentially the same length, or close to, anyway. Headers will obviously look different than the stock manifold, but the difference should still be pretty noticeable from this pic. The difference is the length of the primaries to the collector. If I had to guess, I would say at least 7-9 inches difference. The longer the primary distance, the higher velocity of exhaust gasses before it enters the collector and all goes out one pipe.

Shorties usually get 8-10hp, mids usually 15-17hp, and long 20-22hp.

FWIW, a superimposed pic will not show the differences in the place that they are different, unless they were multi-angle shots. If they are just side-on shots, there is no way to tell the distance that the primaries travel out toward you. Just like in the pic that I posted.

Thanks Ben, that helps a great deal.....this is exactly what I was looking for. I understand about the sideways (Z-axis) distance that is traveled by the headers that cannot be captured by one pic, but the majority of the distance will be as is shown in the pics.

Very helpful, thanks again.

what up Naked, first post whoohoo. I like the looks of the TOGs.

However, is the 200-300 install price or the frustration of cutting and installing yourself really worth 5 horse? I am beginning to ask myself this question more.

I do like the idea of the coated TOG's and the drastically reduced temps under the hood.

what up Naked, first post whoohoo. I like the looks of the TOGs.

However, is the 200-300 install price or the frustration of cutting and installing yourself really worth 5 horse? I am beginning to ask myself this question more.

I do like the idea of the coated TOG's and the drastically reduced temps under the hood.

Yo D, whassup? :driving:

I think TOG are worth 15+ horses - to me, with the supercharger anyway. As far as value, I was told long ago that something is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. So I guess we will find out soon enough what TOG are worth, eh? :D

Lately I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the truck....keep it or sell it. Looks like I'm keeping it, since I'm selling all the stuff I would need to return it to stock. I'll likely put the 3.73's back in and get a VW TDI (38-45 mpg) to deal with this fuel expenditure every month.

Plus, if I get a 402/408 later on (once my little 5.3L takes a dump), I'll need the extra breathing capacity that TOG will give me. :devil:

i didnt know they reduced engine temps, thats a new one on me!

I've heard of guys ceramic coating the stock exhaust for this exact reason.

1st going from stock manifolds with heat shields to an uncoated header = the header will produce more heat.

2nd having stock exhaust manifolds ceramic coated = less underhood heat

3rd going from stock manifolds w/heat shields to a coated header = should lower underhood temps as the ceramic coating does do an excellent job of keeping the heat out.

Archived