Bass Fishing

TMBRWLF1997

I went to Lake Okeechobee this past weekend to do some Bass Fishing with a friend. We stayed at the Roland Martin Resort and got a boat slip for three days.

Being my first time on the lake I really didn't know what to expect, when we got on the lake I was really surprised at how big this thing really is and it is not very deep at all. maybe 15 - 19'.

Thank GOD for GPS or we would have been lost for days out there in the weeds and lilly pads. I guess this weekend was the start of Gater season and a lot of people were there to go Gator hunting with their airboats.

The first day we got 16 fish, but nothing to brag about, maybe 1-2 lbs. 1 3-4 lbs. Of course we did the catch and release. Then the second day we did not catch anything in the morning, but we went out in the late afternoon around 3pm and my buddy starting catching some. I of course NOTHING. I was telling my friend that I can not go back SKUNKED and it wasn't a couple seconds later I get a hit and it WAS BIG. When I get him to the boat he was 21" and weighed 5.5 lbs, the biggest I have ever caught. I have caught bigger fish in the ocean, but never a Bass that big.

Just thought I would let you guys know that Lake Okeechobee is a great lake to fish for Bass and do some Gator hunting if that is what you like to do. :cheers:

I lived in FL for 19yrs before I joined the military. Never have fished that lake. I have hit farm 13, or stick marsh. I believe that is the premier place to go for big FL strain bass right now. Haven't heard much about it this year, but it has done really well in the past.

Get yourself some 8-10" wild shiners and you may even get an 8lb'r or more.

A 5lb bass is nice. Even nicer to catch while in a tournament. I used to fish tournaments quite a bit, but haven't since I've been in Pensacola. I hope to get back into it when I get my boat up to VA. My boat has not seen the water in a long time. Almost like a crime.

Now you're talking my language! Bass fishing is one of my favorite hobbies. I just sold my bass boat recently and I miss it already. Lake Okie is an awesome fishery. I haven't fished there but a friend of mine has many times. Up here in New England, I mostly go after the smallies, mostly for the fight. If you're ever up in these parts, try Lake Winnipesaukee, Squam Lake, and Lake Champlain for some big smallmouth!

Archived