Trailer Brakes

Got A SS

Please help. Bought a camper. Bought a trailer brake controller. Wired it. Brakes would only work manually. Red light would never come on unless manually activated. Unhooked camper. It became dark outside and the headlights came on and so did the red light on the brake controlller. Where did I go wrong. Manually braking a trailer is not for me!! :banghead:

Please help.  Bought a camper.  Bought a trailer brake controller.  Wired it.  Brakes would only work manually.  Red light would never come on unless manually activated.  Unhooked camper.  It became dark outside and the headlights came on and so did the red light on the brake controlller.  Where did I go wrong.  Manually braking a trailer is not for me!! :banghead:

did you put in the fuses under the hood that you have to place in there? also I think a relay is needed. look int he owners manual and you will see.

you need to check out gm bulletin # 02-05-22-004c. it sounds like you have a harness for an 02' or older truck wired up. you need to make sure your harness is a part #15085418.

I had an 2001 harness and took it to the dealer and they changed two wires around per a service bulletin they had. If my memory serves me correct they switched the light blue with the brown.

Return your controller and pick up a Prodigy. Mine was about $145 and the harness was an additional $15 or so. Plugs right in to factory box under the dash, a couple of wire ties and I was done. No cutting required whatsoever. Had it working within 15 minutes. Has 3 adjustable boost levels for loaded and unloaded trailer plus a manual "trigger" that allows you to brake just the trailer during downhills or crosswinds. Awesome piece worth twice the cost in piece of mind alone.

you need to check out gm bulletin # 02-05-22-004c. it sounds like you have a harness for an 02' or older truck wired up. you need to make sure your harness is a part #15085418.

I had an 2001 harness and took it to the dealer and they changed two wires around per a service bulletin they had. If my memory serves me correct they switched the light blue with the brown.

this can be done, but there's no reason to have not just bought the right harness in the first place. i'd put money on that being his problem though. as soon as the parking lights come on the trailer brakes will apply if you have the wrong harness.

Archived