2000 malibu

shadowsniper3006

Hey all,

My mom has a 2000 malibu with the 3100 i think, anyway, it's kicking the IAT code. We put a new IAT in and no help. We took the whole air intake apart to see if it had a restriction and it was good. The MAF was also clean. Does anyone have an idea of what else might be bad and just making the PCM kick a IAT code?? Also, we disconnected the batery to reset the PCM, is that the right way to clear this thing? The code goes away everytime you shut the car off, and then comes back like as soon as it warms up....any idea's?

Thanks Much

Brad

the way to diagnose this is to have someone put a scan tool on it and find out what #'s the IAT sensor is showing. that will tell you if you have an open circut or a short to ground circut. it could also be caused by a bad pcm.

I've seen a few of those codes at the dealer. Yes the intakes are prone to leak, but will not set an IAT code. Zippy is right, but common problem I've seen is either sensor (which you replaced) or the connector for the sensor. Sometimes when work has been done and air duct is removed the harness is not routed correctly and puts tension on the wires at the connector causing the wires to break inside the insulation.

I've seen a few of those codes at the dealer. Yes the intakes are prone to leak, but will not set an IAT code. Zippy is right, but common problem I've seen is either sensor (which you replaced) or the connector for the sensor. Sometimes when work has been done and air duct is removed the harness is not routed correctly and puts tension on the wires at the connector causing the wires to break inside the insulation.

funny you say that. She just put a new air filter in...i wonder if she broke those wires.

the way to diagnose this is to have someone put a scan tool on it and find out what #'s the IAT sensor is showing. that will tell you if you have an open circut or a short to ground circut. it could also be caused by a bad pcm.

we had the code read at advance and I think it just said IAT and nothing else.....I'll look again. if it is an open circuit that means the wires are broke right? If it is short to ground, what could cause that? We do have the haynes manual, do they list the codes in there?

Thanks all!!!

Brad

ive seen the connector problem TONS of times at work... there is actually a T.S.B on that issue.... the circuit will be open... and you may not even see it but slightly tug on the wires right at the connector... one may pull out with an EASY tug... theres your problem... good luck

ive seen the connector problem TONS of times at work... there is actually a T.S.B on that issue.... the circuit will be open... and you may not even see it but slightly tug on the wires right at the connector... one may pull out with an EASY tug... theres your problem... good luck

thanks man!

Brad

any luck with the B & A, i myself do not hunt, but i thought i mite ask.....

not a darn thing......didn't even see one....didn't even hear anything that sounded like one....9 hours in a tree and not a thing.

oh well still had fun. I did see a mink, 2 grouse, a wolf, and bald eagle, so it was worth it! Thanks for asking!

Brad

My dad has a 97 malibu (first year) that is now my daily driver because of these gas prices. Anyways the car is a piece of sh*t. The transmission always slips and the guages will just drop off like you just turned off the key. The list of crap wrong with that car is endless. It currenly has 81k miles on it. Its a nice looking ls model, but I'll never buy one.

Archived