What stall should I go with?

I think I would bnefit from a new converter. The only problem I have is, should I go all out and spend $800 on a new Yank or just go small and get a TB one. I have no idea what the difference would be for my application. I do no towing at all, and I have a fan driven tranny cooler, with billet servos and some other small tranny impovments. The truck is Vortech SC and makes 473HP to the wheels. Any thoughts on this one?

I just had Zippy install a TB converter on my truck and I am really happy with it. Not only does it stall up nice with the Radix it has the unexpected benefit of easing up the billet servo feel a bit on the 1-2 shift.

That being said with a Vortech the recommendation is normally to go with a much higher stall to get into your power band sooner. I think I would just save up and get what you really need and want.

Again, I didn't do the install myself, but it's a big enough job not to want to repeat it if you don't have to. :)

Yeah the TB converter stalls pretty high with a Radix, but that's largely because of the push you get down low from the Roots-type blower. I think I would lean toward the 3000 - 3200 stall with the Vortech. Should be a nice setup for the track, although maybe a bit loose on the street. :chevy:

i would say a 2800 stall would be good.  I would say that the trail blazer converter would work fine in your truck  if you dont want to spend the money.

:withstupid: 2800, especially if using a TCS converter as they run a bit 'loose'.

I would consider two factors in your decision - first, the TB stall speed is a squeak on the low side for a Vortech, but not enough to matter unless you are building a 'maximum effort' performance vehicle; second is that the TB torque converter lockup clutch is not totally adequate for regular towing in our trucks, but if you only tow/haul moderate weight locally a couple times a year that will not be a hinderance, or you can drive in 3rd. As you describe your truck to be basically a 'commuter' SS the TB converter is not at all a bad choice, especially for < $200. I would not recommend it for use with NOS though.

OTOH, for $850 you get it all - any stall speed (and more importantly, stall behavior) you want, the factory towing capacity and then some, and bullet-proof internals.

Mr. P. :)

Thanks for all the info guys. I was just a little worried about the drivability of the truck with a stall anything near or over 3000. Im just sick of driving around a truck with 500hp on tap and it takes of like a mule. I want something thats going to get me going quicker. I will take it to the track maybe once or twice a year and thats it.

Archived