Type 26's and Toyo Geolanders

paulguy

Great forum guys,

After seening a sss on here with American Eagle type 26's(22"), I had to go buy a set (copycat...I know). Bought them with 305/40/22 Yokohama Geolanders. Got them in June for about $3000 US.

Well, I picked my truck up at the end of the day, and I was on the phone the next morning with the store manager at the tire store... asking him if he had any complaints from these tires. My truck was all over the road. I had to drive back to my shop and check the air in the tires cuz it felt like they were low on air. The truck is no where near as responsive with the 22's as it was with the factory 20" goodyears.

After a few weeks the Yokohama rep came over and took a ride in my truck, couldn't see what was the problem was, even though the fishtailing was as plain as day(to me anyways). But at least offered to take back the tires and credit the store. k...

I haven't made it back to the tire store yet, and then i noticed a shimmy in the steering wheel at low speeds, so I put my truck on the lift today, started it , threw it in gear. Well, the front rims are dented, and all four rims have noticable wobble to them and one is real bad(tire moves probably close to half an inch back and fourth). There is damage on the fronts, on the outer rim, from the tire bottoming out and hitting the rim, but i don't see how that would make rim wobble. :banghead:

Anybody else have troubles like this? or know what I should do? I'm afraid to go back to the store, at least not till I calm down.

with those tires you shoould not have had any rims bottoming out problems, have you driven up/down any curbs or hae you hit any speedbumps gping really fast, or possibbly something on the freeway? those rims shouldnt be like that , unless th eplace that sold them to you pulled a quick one!( i would suspect something if all four were like this).

with those tires you shoould not have had any rims bottoming out problems, have you driven up/down any curbs or hae you hit any speedbumps gping really fast, or possibbly something on the freeway? those rims shouldnt be like that , unless th eplace that sold them to you pulled a quick one!( i would suspect something if all four were like this).

No, no curbs or anything like that, a couple of rough potholes but thats about it. The sidewalls on the tires are so weak that the damaged rims don't suprise me, those tires have no sidewall support at all. I think I would have noticed some wobble when they were new, but the shop pulling something keeps popping up in my head too.

:withstupid:

Bottoming out really shouldn't be an issue with those tires, maybe if you are running a 30 profile tire.  I run a 35 and have run over bumps (damn road construction) at decent speeds and have not have problems.  This is a very odd situation.

I agree, although these tires are very weak in the sidewall, which explains the poor handling. The 40 series yokohama's tires accually ride just as good if not better then the factory ones(50 series i think).

Well, I'm off to the tire store tomorrow morning. I don't have a clue what gonna happen. Thanks for the input guys.

The wider the tires the more they wander on the road.

Oh, I know all about wide tires wondering on the road, these 305/40 r22's aren't the widest tire I've had. These tires suck...plain and simple. My truck feels loose to the point it's almost scary. On a quick lane change on the highway, I can accually feel the truck fishtail back and forth a couple of times. Mine owe fault for buying h-rated tires i guess.

The wider the tires the more they wander on the road.

Oh, I know all about wide tires wondering on the road, these 305/40 r22's aren't the widest tire I've had. These tires suck...plain and simple. My truck feels loose to the point it's almost scary. On a quick lane change on the highway, I can accually feel the truck fishtail back and forth a couple of times. Mine owe fault for buying h-rated tires i guess.

What's the width of the wheel? For a 305, you should probably have at least a 9.5-10" width wheel on there. To narrow of a rim can cause the weird handling you're talking about...

What's the width of the wheel? For a 305, you should probably have at least a 9.5-10" width wheel on there. To narrow of a rim can cause the weird handling you're talking about...

It's a 9.5" wheel. The factory wheel is 8.5" with a 275 tire. So the 305 is an inch wider tire then the factory tire on a wheel that an inch wider then the factory wheel. Shouldn't be a problem.

Archived