Can't decide on a cam!!

budhayes3

Did you hear back from Cam Motion?

Not yet, but I just filled out the cam request form Friday. I just checked out their website again to make sure that there isn't something I'm missing.

If you go to the FMS website and send Allan an email, he'll get back to you in a day or so.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet, but I just filled out the cam request form Friday. I just checked out their website again to make sure that there isn't something I'm missing.

If you go to the FMS website and send Allan an email, he'll get back to you in a day or so.

Thanks Ben...just did :thumbs: From what I've learned, Allan at FMS uses cam motion lobes, so it seems I'm getting my bases covered :) I'll definitely keep ya's posted.

Thanks Ben...just did :thumbs: From what I've learned, Allan at FMS uses cam motion lobes, so it seems I'm getting my bases covered :) I'll definitely keep ya's posted.

Lobes under a certain size (not sure where they start) are Allan's custom lobes. Mine are his, but is a 236/243 cam. Also, lobe is not all there is to it. If that were the case, then cams would be mastered by anyone. It is the combination of the right amount of intake/exhaust (the most important part - not lift), with the right split and lift to make the cam work with what you have. "With what you have" meaning what you have for a vehicle and the mods you have and what you plan to do with it and the goals you have. That is what Allan shines at. His design recommendations work for you, but may not necessarily work for someone else. they are not your typical off-the-shelf grind that works for numerous setups - usually. However, Allan does use cammotion to grind his cams to the specs he gives.

Hey bud, yea, I found out my cam is not salvageable :banghead: Oh well. I went to cam motion and the dropped the bad news, it was worse than I first realised. I called them and I'm getting them to custom grind one for me. I figure cant beat that :jester: Gotta be better than guessing right. He asked me eleventy billion questions, and said he would get back to me. Hopefully they will be done by monday??

Hey bud, yea, I found out my cam is not salvageable :banghead: Oh well.  I went to cam motion and the dropped the bad news, it was worse than I first realised.  I called them and I'm getting them to custom grind one for me.  I figure cant beat that :jester: Gotta be better than guessing right.  He asked me eleventy billion questions, and said he would get back to me.  Hopefully they will be done by monday??

Too bad about your original bumpstick White, but it sounds like you're in good hands. You should end up with something perfect for your application. I received a return email from Cam Motion also...they recommend a 218/218 .564/.564 114...kinda in the neighborhood that I've been considering. When the time comes to make the purchase, I'm definitely gonna talk to someone in person first. I'm kinda hoping for something on a 112lsa...I like em lopey :devil:

I received a return email from Cam Motion also...they recommend a 218/218 .564/.564 114.

Take this with a grain of salt, but thats the exact cam I've been running in my SS for the past 2+ years. Great street manners and nice gains throughout the rpm range using only a Yank 2600. My cam is ground on Comp Cams XE high lift lobe, but the specs are virtually identical. That cam put my SS in the 13s NA and will take it into the 11s with the Radix.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate a second to install a TR220 on a 114 LSA either. In fact, I bought a Comp cams XER 224/224 .581 114 that I never got around to install. Its aggressive lobes give it better idle and low end torque, but also increase the upper rpm performance over a less aggressive lobe.

Take this with a grain of salt, but thats the exact cam I've been running in my SS for the past 2+ years.  Great street manners and nice gains throughout the rpm range using only a Yank 2600.  My cam is ground on Comp Cams XE high lift lobe, but the specs are virtually identical.  That cam put my SS in the 13s NA and will take it into the 11s with the Radix. 

That said, I wouldn't hesitate a second to install a TR220 on a 114 LSA either.  In fact, I bought a Comp cams XER 224/224 .581 114 that I never got around to install.  Its aggressive lobes give it better idle and low end torque, but also increase the upper rpm performance over a less aggressive lobe.

Gotta love the man who's not afraid of the big bumpstick! You and I have very similar cam ideas.

edit - what's your opinion on using some of these grinds with F.I.? In these milder grinds are the valve timing events that critical to warrant going through all the math with a blower?

Mr. P. :)

I bought a Comp cams XER 224/224 .581 114 that I never got around to install.  Its aggressive lobes give it better idle and low end torque, but also increase the upper rpm performance over a less aggressive lobe.

Tex, would you mind explaining this? How can a more aggressive lobe have better idle characteristics? Seems counter-intuitive to me. And how would a 220/220 on different lobes change low-end torque?

Sorry for the ignorance, I would just really like to learn this.

Also, what are the downside(s) of a more aggressive lobe? Do you end up chewing through springs faster? :confused:

I bought a Comp cams XER 224/224 .581 114 that I never got around to install.  Its aggressive lobes give it better idle and low end torque, but also increase the upper rpm performance over a less aggressive lobe.

Tex, would you mind explaining this? How can a more aggressive lobe have better idle characteristics? Seems counter-intuitive to me. And how would a 220/220 on different lobes change low-end torque?

Sorry for the ignorance, I would just really like to learn this.

Also, what are the downside(s) of a more aggressive lobe? Do you end up chewing through springs faster? :confused:

yes the comp XER lobes are more agressive and DO provide better idling. the downside is decreaded spring/valvetrain life.

I am using the 216/220 Comp with 1.8 rockers so mine is 555/563. I am on the stock stall with no problems. It idles really good and has good street manners also. I was scared to go any bigger, but I don't think it would be a problem. It does have a nice sound, kinda like a prostock drag car when it wakes the neighbors in the morning :cool:

I received a return email from Cam Motion also...they recommend a 218/218 .564/.564 114...kinda in the neighborhood that I've been considering.

Did Allan Futral ever recommend one?

Not yet...I'm assuming he's a pretty buzy guy. I didn't call though, just sent an email.

I received a return email from Cam Motion also...they recommend a 218/218 .564/.564 114...kinda in the neighborhood that I've been considering.

Did Allan Futral ever recommend one?

Not yet...I'm assuming he's a pretty buzy guy. I didn't call though, just sent an email.

Email him again - if you're interested in what he has to say. It's possible he's been out of town. I think he goes places involved in racing, etc..

Archived