Can't decide on a cam!!

budhayes3

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I emailed him a couple of days ago and he just got back to me.  Im sure he's pretty busy right now so just be patient. :thumbs:

Well....what did he recommend for you??

I told him I needed to pass emisions and he recomended a 205\210-114. I asked him if I could go any bigger and he said he could give me a 213\219-115+3 .536"\.547", but he couldn't gaurentee it would pass emisions. Wouldn't I be able to adjust my tune though with that bigger cam to get it to pass emisions?

I emailed him a couple of days ago and he just got back to me.  Im sure he's pretty busy right now so just be patient. :thumbs:

Well....what did he recommend for you??

I told him I needed to pass emisions and he recomended a 205\210-114. I asked him if I could go any bigger and he said he could give me a 213\219-115+3 .536"\.547", but he couldn't gaurentee it would pass emisions. Wouldn't I be able to adjust my tune though with that bigger cam to get it to pass emisions?

I have read about people tuning them out to pass emissions, but I couldn't begin to tell you where to start.

I received a return email from Cam Motion also...they recommend a 218/218 .564/.564 114...kinda in the neighborhood that I've been considering.

Did Allan Futral ever recommend one?

Not yet...I'm assuming he's a pretty buzy guy. I didn't call though, just sent an email.

Email him again - if you're interested in what he has to say. It's possible he's been out of town. I think he goes places involved in racing, etc..

I'm definitely interested in what he has to say, but I'm not in a rush just yet, so I didn't want to pain in his butt. I figure I'll give him a couple more days before I re-send the email :thumbs:

I told him I needed to pass emisions and he recomended a 205\210-114.  I asked him if I could go any bigger and he said he could give me a 213\219-115+3 .536"\.547", but he couldn't gaurentee it would pass emisions.  Wouldn't I be able to adjust my tune though with that bigger cam to get it to pass emisions?

All the F-Body guys here in San Diego agree that a 220/220 is a no-brainer as far as passing. The lack of tuning might make it marginal, but it should still pass. The ones that have a good tuner say they feel confident driving into smog with durations as high as 224. Keep in mind that these guys have 5.7L motors, which would be marginally more difficult to pass than a 6.0L, not easier, so you would have a little more latitude.

That's the one nice thing about the new emissions testing here in Jersey, no more sniffer on everything 96 and up :thumbs: Just a visual to make sure everything is there (cats can be totally empty as long as they're there :devil: ) and an OBDII plug in...as long as there's no codes and all of the readiness tests have run, you're golden :D

I told him I needed to pass emisions and he recomended a 205\210-114.  I asked him if I could go any bigger and he said he could give me a 213\219-115+3 .536"\.547", but he couldn't gaurentee it would pass emisions.  Wouldn't I be able to adjust my tune though with that bigger cam to get it to pass emisions?

All the F-Body guys here in San Diego agree that a 220/220 is a no-brainer as far as passing. The lack of tuning might make it marginal, but it should still pass. The ones that have a good tuner say they feel confident driving into smog with durations as high as 224. Keep in mind that these guys have 5.7L motors, which would be marginally more difficult to pass than a 6.0L, not easier, so you would have a little more latitude.

Well that's good to hear. :thumbs: So you think I can go bigger, or should I just stick with the 213\219-115+3 .536"\.547"? I should probably talk to brian about this.

Are you blown? If so, and you want to keep the traditional 6 degree split, then yes, the 213/219 would be as close to ideal as you can get. A 214/220 would be do-able, too. Either of those should have no problems with smog.

OTOH, if you're N/A, then a 218/218 or 220/220 would work.

Are you blown?  If so, and you want to keep the traditional 6 degree split, then yes, the 213/219 would be as close to ideal as you can get.  A 214/220 would be do-able, too.  Either of those should have no problems with smog.

OTOH, if you're N/A, then a 218/218 or 220/220 would work.

Yeah, im blown. Sounds like the 213/219 should work pretty well.

Im assuming the traditional 6 degree split would be the 6 degree difference in the duration. What's the reason for keeping the 6 degree split though?

Email him again - if you're interested in what he has to say.  It's possible he's been out of town.  I think he goes places involved in racing, etc..

I just re-sent the email, hopefully he'll get back to me soon :)

After a few PM's back and forth with Big Tex, I'm starting to rethink why I'm so stubborn in wanting a 112lsa...as much as I want the truck to sound a certain way, my main concern is optimizing performance for my application. Thanks for the education Big Tex, I really feel as though I now have a grasp of the effects of LSA and overlap on an engine's performance and powerband :thumbs:

Here's a good link for anyone who would like a better understanding of camshafts:

LS1Tech Cam Guide

That's the one nice thing about the new emissions testing here in Jersey, no more sniffer on everything 96 and up :thumbs: Just a visual to make sure everything is there (cats can be totally empty as long as they're there :devil: ) and an OBDII plug in...as long as there's no codes and all of the readiness tests have run, you're golden :D

Ain't that America for you - if it looks like a rose and smells like a rose...

Mr. P. :)

For anyone who's interested, Allan at FMS recommended their F2-114(224\224 .586"\.586") with a 3K stall converter...said it should have good power up to 6200 rpm :thumbs: Decisions, decisions...

Now I really like the sound of that intake (224 duration) but a single-pattern cam? I would have thought split pattern, like 224/230 or similar. Does this exhaust lobe require headers, or mild porting?

Did he recommend this for a 5.3l or 6.0l? NA application, Radix, or Vortech? Regular cab, or extended cab? Headers + catback required, or stock exhaust manifolds?

For anyone who's interested, Allan at FMS recommended their F2-114(224\224 .586"\.586") with a 3K stall converter...said it should have good power up to 6200 rpm :thumbs: Decisions, decisions...

Now I really like the sound of that intake (224 duration) but a single-pattern cam? I would have thought split pattern, like 224/230 or similar. Does this exhaust lobe require headers, or mild porting?

Did he recommend this for a 5.3l or 6.0l? NA application, Radix, or Vortech? Regular cab, or extended cab? Headers + catback required, or stock exhaust manifolds?

I gave him a description of my truck now (see sig), what I'd like to do to it (lower it a bit and get some street tires, etc...eventually) and explained that I plan on swapping in an LQ9, staying N/A, getting long tubes with true dual exhaust, building the trans, and matching a torque converter to fit the setup, something in the (2600-3000 range preferably). He didn't mention anything about p&p on the heads, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt :D

I'm not sure which way I want to go with it now... :banghead:

Archived