Steering column question

2003SilvSS

I have a 2003 Silverado SS, with 44,000 miles on it. I got it when it had around 27,000 on it. When I first got it, I read on here about how the intermediate steering shaft goes out occasionally, so I complained to the dealer that it was rattling inside the column, so they put a whole new steering column in it. I think it was like 600 bucks, I have the invoice somewhere. Anyhow, that was like 6 months ago. Now I have a rattle in the column that is bugging the heck out of me. It sounds like something under the dash in the column has play in it. You can grab the steering wheel and shake it back and forth and there doesn't seem to be much play there. I don't hear it when I'm driving straight, but when I turned, it just sounds loose. What it sounds like to me is that some type of bushing or shim is wore and it has play in it, and when you turn the wheel like one turn either clockwise or counterclockwise, you hear something inside there. It seems like it's getting more noticeable. Soooo, has anyone else ran into this? Would my 6 month old steering column still fall under warranty if it is outside the 36,000 mile warranty? And, how in the world do you get the steering wheel off? Does anyone make a haynes or chilton that breaks it down good on general maint? Thanks people

Brian

oh my lord! the entire column! wow.... you can ask for a one time only "gm hard-luck" case... a lot of dealers will go for it depends on how nice of a service manager/consultant you run into... that also depending on their mood etc. etc. etc.

good luck with that, if i get a chance i will searh about general motors service information and see what kind of info i can get you

That was a recall and therefore, it should be fixed for no charge!!!!!

Last time I checked it was at T.S.B and not a recall. T.S.B.'s under warranty are free of charge, but not after warranty expires and recalls are free of charge no matter of milage and age of the truck.

Here is the number of the T.S.B for the intermediate steering shaft: 00-02-35-003C

• 2 weeks later...

I called a respectable Chevrolet dealer here in town and told him what was going on. He said that it is the two tubes inside the column rattling. He said that the only fix for that is packing it full of grease. i think that is a bunch of BS!. Someone surely has a better fix for it than that. What about making some sort of bushing with a bearing in it. I am pretty good a CAD or solid works, I'll take it apart this weekend and see what's going on and start drawing a fix. Thanks

Brian

Being a employee for GM i know if you do just get it packed and oiled it will last about 18k miles or so before having to do it again. I suspect it will cost around 140 Dollars give or take. Fortunatly its not a safty concern more of a annoyance seeing as you have around 44k miles on it i would take it in to the dealership to see if you can get some assistance. However the fact that your the second owner and depending where you get your maintence done might hurt you a bit there. as far as assistance from the dealership is concerned.

If you get more information about this concern please do update us and keep us informed as to whats going on. And if you do pull it apart let us know what you find :P

I am on my third steering shaft, all replaced under warranty and this one is already starting to rattle and it is only a month old... The P/N for the "updated" rolleyes.gif intermediate steering shaft is 89060582. I am still in factory warranty to every time I hear it I am going to take it back in, and I also have an extended warranty to 100K miles so I am covered for quite some time...

Archived