Exhaust Cool Down Noise

jps1

I am relatively new to the forum so you guys may have already discussed this,

I bought my SS about 3 weeks ago, :D and the first strange thing I notice was how loud the exhaust was when it was cooling down in the drive way after I drove it home. It's like a loud "ting" noise. I assumed this was normal and disreguarded it.

Yesterday my girlfriend and I got home and sure enough the truck "tinged" and she asked me if that was normal :confused: I said sure, but then I started to think I don't know anyone with a SS so maybe it could be somthing alittle strange.

So I figured this would be the perfect place to find out. This is such a good site I don't normally have to ask theres usually already a tread about it.

So is this normal on our trucks or is it something I should get checked out?

Thanks in advance fellas. Good to have a place to turn to when you got a question.

jps1, Hello! :seeya:

I remember this being discussed before and someone posted this information. I copied and pasted it to save for when I take my truck in for service I'll have this clang noise fixed. Here is the original post, can't remember who posted it, but the credit goes to that individual... :thumbs:

Exhaust/Muffler Heat Shield Rattle, Popping Noise Under Vehicle (Install Heat Shield Retaining Straps On Muffler) #02-06-05-005B - (04/16/2003)

Exhaust/Muffler Heat Shield Rattle, Popping Noise Under Vehicle (Install Heat Shield Retaining Straps On Muffler)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2000-2003 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

2000-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Sierra, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

with 5.3L or 6.0L Gas Engine (VINs T, N, U -- RPOs LM7, LQ9, LQ4)

Except 1500 Series Models

This bulletin is being revised to add RPO LQ4 to the Models information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin 02-06-05-005A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle/popping noise from under the vehicle.

Cause

The separation of the muffler heat shield from the muffler may cause a rattle under the vehicle.

Correction

Install two heat shield retaining straps, P/N 15164621, to the muffler and muffler heat shield. Follow the service procedure below to correct this concern.

I got rid of this problem with 2 Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers. Mine has no noises during cool down, now. But it sure sounds great when it comes to life! :cheers:

Where did you get the exhaust? How much $? Got any pics? I am in the Austin area and need a good reference.

I got rid of this problem with 2 Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers.  Mine has no noises during cool down, now.  But it sure sounds great when it comes to life! :cheers:

Where did you get the exhaust? How much $? Got any pics? I am in the Austin area and need a good reference.

I got rid of this problem with 2 Flowmaster 50 Series mufflers.  Mine has no noises during cool down, now.  But it sure sounds great when it comes to life! :cheers:

Where did you get the exhaust? How much $? Got any pics?  I am in the Austin area and need a good reference.

I will be out all this next week in Boston for business, while the truck sits at the Custom shop. I bought the truck at Capitol Chevy on the motor mile in Austin. I live on the south side.

I paid about $500 to get 3" exhaust from the back of the Catalic converters and O2 bungs with a custom built 3" Xpipe, (he did the paint and heat it up and build it at the heat spot which turned out on my truck to be the drop down for the frame crossover memeber which worked out to be interesting,) and into 3" 50 flowmasters then into a Ypipe that goes back into the original 3.5" over the rear wheel exit pipe. he also painted all of his work with silver heat resistant paint. Really awesome job. Rebel mufflers on Manchaca road near Fm 1626. Very meticulous in his work.

I promise, i will make some time and take pictures of it and post them. Does this board have a place to post pictures like the corvette forum?

Archived