Radiator Drain Hose

BenKey

I went to start and change my thermostat yesterday and noticed that GM didn't give me a drain hose for my radiator. The holder is there for it, but no hose. Did anyone else get the shaft? I called the parts guy at the dealership and he tells me that it should have been there. I went ahead and had him order it. It costs $6 something.

I went to start and change my thermostat yesterday and noticed that GM didn't give me a drain hose for my radiator. The holder is there for it, but no hose. Did anyone else get the shaft? I called the parts guy at the dealership and he tells me that it should have been there. I went ahead and had him order it. It costs $6 something.

BenKey - Are you going to do the BB thing or have you purchased a new hermostat. I read an artical in the new Truckin and they suggested putting in a 180 or I guess a 170 if you can find one, anything but a 160 because the system will think it's still trying to warm up and use lots more gas, and I know we don't what to burn any more gas that this bad boy is using now! Just an FYI.

I remember seeing at tube hanging down on the drivers side, right next to the bottom of the wiper fliud container (it goes down a looooong way). I was busy wrestling with my heat exchanger, so I didn't follow it. It did look like the kind of black tubing they use for radiator overflow on older cars. But don't they have the overflow on the fill tank over on the passenger side??? :confused:

I got some pic's of mine... where the petcock is supposed to be, it seems to be a blank or unfinished.

My Webpage

If you look at your pics, you'll see the loop that is supposed to hold the hose. When you get ready to drain you just pull out the hose route it downward and open up the valve. The hose connects to the little plastic nipple, for lack of a better word, not a bad word either, that is attached to the petcock valve. Which in your case, you don't appear to even have one. :confused:

Anyway, as I said the parts guy pulled up the drawing and said it showed one there. Comes with the clamp to hold the hose to the "nipple."

Shopman - I planned on doing the BB thing and see how that worked for me.

• 11 months later...

I didn't do my research either, I just went to drain the radiator, and I couldn't because I don't have the hoses. If I do get the hose, I still don't understand how you get the valve open to drain the radiator????

Someone help.

Well, Ben, you're absolutely right. They really don't make this easy at all.

I ended up un bolting the reservoir and dumping that out, then leading the reservoir hose down to a bucket in the wheel well. After dumping the main hose to the thermostat, I was able to unbolt the thermostat, but not without loosing atleast a quart or two on the ground.

I went with the BB mod as MustBBrent has done. Truth be told, the 2003 thrmostat I have is not the same as the one BigTex has pictured in one of his tutorials on how to do the bb modification!!!

The end of my thermostat kind of tapers off from about .2" to about .125" So the bb would want to fit into the bottom of the housing which is .125, and it didn't fit. So I ended up drilling the hosueing out to make the bb fit. Put the thermostat back together, and vwuala. No it runs right on the black 185 mark if not a nats ass below. Very happy so far, with the temperature. Time will tell if it gets hotter or worse at all.

Thanks for the info on the mod guys..

One thing I had to do though is hose the crap out of the undercarraige after the dexcool spill. I recommend a touchless car wash :thumbs:

Archived