Recommended Alarms for my SS?

dantwomey

I would recommend the DEI Viper 791xv. I've had some issues, but mostly minor ones and they should be straighented out tomorrow. The remote range is awesome and DEI makes the best alarms going. Had mine installed with a battery backup, window up/dwn module and extra siren for around $800.

I've seen some discussion about alarms here but I'm looking for a short list of recommended alarms with no issues for my SS.

Opinions welcome!

Regards,

Dan

I went with the 2-way Compustar w/remote start.

www.compustar.org

My installer works for a truck accessories company and had it in and buttoned up in less than 3 hours.

It still uses the oem intrusion alarm so the security light flashes in the cluster, and the horn honks if the doors are opened.

2 way is nice, if the alarm gets triggered it pages the remote with an indicator of what zone has been violated.

So you can tell if it was the shock sensor or an actual door/hood being opened.

The only thing I have found that was effected is when you disarm the alarm it does not activate the perimeter lighting. There may be an easy fix, just gotta ask my guy.

For accessories consider a back up battery as well as a mercury switch.

No matter what alarm you get, they are worthless unless you get the backup battery, because if someone wants your stereo that bad, they will get it. DEI, also makes a pain generator, it is installed inside your vehicle with its own battery, and when someone brakes in, it produces a real loud high pitch tone that you could never tolerate to steal a stereo with that going. I am not for sure if they still make these, but in my old truck I had one.

No matter what alarm you get, they are worthless unless you get the backup battery, because if someone wants your stereo that bad, they will get it. DEI, also makes a pain generator, it is installed inside your vehicle with its own battery, and when someone brakes in, it produces a real loud high pitch tone that you could never tolerate to steal a stereo with that going. I am not for sure if they still make these, but in my old truck I had one.

In my truck I have Code Alarm CA-640 w/ two way pager etc etc...I love DEI but the company I work for wasn't carrying them at the time so I did the code alarm unit (for a typical customer it is $700 installed), although we will be carrying the DEI product this winter (may have to swap them out).

As far as my unit is concerned it's fully loaded...window up/down, operates perimter lighting and remote lock on bed cover.

my only suggestion is to stay away from Clifford and the new Code Alarm units (new units are striped and bare bones[CA-670]...you spend a lot of money in extras the truck needs that the previous years models had [CA-640])

as stated above though by not only me...DEI is the best thing going really

Archived