need some help

Just the other day when I was driving my truck, i was racing this kid and when my truck got to high rpms, the truck started to hesitate and there was a clattering noise. The truck only does it when I am boosting and more then half throttle, but if I drive it like a little grandma it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary. I took a guy I know in town that is a hot rod buff for a ride and he said it sounds like my valves are floating, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have monitoring software? It does sound a bad problem. You do not want noise when WOT. What is your Rev limit set to? What RPM do you hear the noise the most?

Invest sometime before this goes BOOM!

CD

Sounds like detonation to me, at least what I know of it.

If you don't have a monitoring capability, you're shooting yourself in the face the more you drive it like that and can't figure out what is going on. Blown engines will be just that, without it.

It just bewilders the crap out of me how you can spend that much on the blower and not spend a couple of hundred extra to help in situations just like this. I probably have said that on here more times than any other thing I have ever commented on.

Have you tried running some high octane gas to see if it goes away? Are you running a cooler heat range plug like NGK TR-6?

Unless you have adj. valves and have overadjusted, I don't think valve float is an issue. There'd be no reason that I know of for them to hang open without a modified valve train.

I put colder plugs in the other day and the problem still happened. I got Tr6 ngks. I am going to get auto tap software in the next couple days. I am not driving the truck though. If it was valve float, would autotap pick it up??? I run 91 in the truck all the time. Should I mix in some unleaded 110 or something if that is what you are getting at????

I would until you get autotap and check it then. I think you'll find a lot of KR when you start logging. If I had to guess. You could try some high octane. If it goes away with the high octane, then you know that is what it was.

If it is detonation, what would be the best way to fix it.  Call pcm for less and tell them I am detonating and I need a new tune cuz I can't run race gas in it all the time.

You could have it tuned to either richen it up a bit or pull a little timing and try a cooler t-stat also. If the engine hasn't had a good top end cleaning in a while (GM Top End Cleaner, Seafoam, etc.) it's never a bad idea to help try and remove some of the carbon from the induction system and combustion chambers.

with my '01 lightning i saw some valve float @ wot 1-2 shifts. i was also @ 10-11 lbs of boost. i realize that we're looking at totally different engines here but mine sounded alot like a woodpecker stuck on high speed. like i said, it only did it at the 1-2 shift and only at wot. that's the main reason i sold it to get the SSS. i didn't want to deal with serious engine troubles with 20k on the clock.

PS: sorry to everyone offended by a ford/chevy engine comparison. :chevy:

Archived