daily drivers? commute time?

Holty

I've only had my SS for about a month now. I love this truck, but before buying it, i didn't think of how long of a commute i have or gas prices. I really hate paying $3.00 a gallon for 93 octane, but i can't change that so, i just live with it, but my problem is that i commute 30 miles one way to work everyday. I hate racking up the miles on my truck. I've been riding my cbr1000rr alot lately and then taking my wifes car (hyundai tiburon) to save on putting miles on my SS. Also, i'm getting 22"s in the spring. How many of you commute with larger wheels? Besides the cost of replacing those expensive tires, any downfalls to having a daily driver with big wheels? I'm also thinking of doing a 2/2 drop. How many of you commute with a lowered truck? What kind of shocks are you using? How is the ride quality? Lastly, it snows a good bit here in pittsburgh. How well do these trucks go in the snow? Mine is AWD, but do you put weight in the bed? I'd hate to do that just because more weight = worse gas mileage. Again, i don't really care THAT much about gas mileage, i did KNOW that when i bought the truck it wouldn't be good, but i don't want to make it worse (i know the wheels will make it worse though).

This topic i guess really isn't all about answering my questions as it is about trying to find out how all of you guys use the truck as daily drivers.

I drive mine every day, and I have a 20 mile drive one way. Mine is not lowered and still have the factory wheels, so I don't know about those questions. Check out the general SS section. There are some threads on increasing fuel economy, one that I started on "my experiment", and another about a smoother ride. Fuel economy wise, it's not too bad for what it is, but it just hurts to pay $75 every time you fill up. :mad:

I've got a 56 miles commute one way so the SS sits in the garage unless I feel like driving it. I put over 70K on my other truck in less than 3 years and I didn't drive it to work all the time. Gas prices were a lot better then($35 or so to fill it up). My drive just got about 5-10 mins. faster due to moving to a new office(less side roads and more interstate). If you don't want to put the miles on the SS, get a beater. I knew before I bought the SS I was going to also buy another vehicle to drive to work. The SS drives fine in the snow but the back end will slide. AWD is different than 4WD. My last silverado had 4WD with traction control or something and it rode a lot better than the SS(in the snow). Adding weight to the bed might be a good thing. Can't answer the other questions. My SS is stock height and has stock wheels. :cheers:

Hey, what parts of Pgh do you live abouts???

I'm from washington pa., but work downtown on fourth ave.

I would like to have a beater car, but i already have a bike and the SS the wife won't go for another vehicle. i wish it were that easy....

My last vehicle ('99 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8) was AWD, and it was VERY VERY good in the snow. So good that i tried getting it stuck and it would not. I've had the tires covered in snow and it still went just fine. i doubt the SS will be that good without weight in the bed.

Hey, what parts of Pgh do you live abouts???

I'm from washington pa., but work downtown on fourth ave.

I would like to have a beater car, but i already have a bike and the SS the wife won't go for another vehicle. i wish it were that easy....

My last vehicle ('99 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8) was AWD, and it was VERY VERY good in the snow. So good that i tried getting it stuck and it would not. I've had the tires covered in snow and it still went just fine. i doubt the SS will be that good without weight in the bed.

I travel 24 miles each way, a total of 48 miles a day. The days that I go to the gym I end up putting 78 miles on one day.

We work close by, I work on the south side of pgh, you should spin on by some day.

the SSS is great in the snow, had it out in 14in of it last year and had no problems at all except hitting the ice boulder in front of my housr that my neighbor shoveled onto our side and it got covered by snow. It drives just fine in the white stuff. As for the other questions you have, cant help ya, sorry

SS travels very well in snow, I drove it through about a foot and a half, with stock rims of course for the whole winter. It drives better than the regular 4x4s I've driven. I do commute about 20 miles a day with 23 inch rims on basically a rubber band. No real problems, just watch for potholes.

I commute 60 miles each way to work. I bought a 94 Plymouth Acclaim just for that purpose. 27MPG, good power (3.0L v6). Not the prettiest thing on the road but keeps the SS in great condition! Besides, I think I have the SS torn apart more than on the road anyway. It was a necessity. Bought the Acclaim with 56K on the ticker and have pushed it to 100K in 2 years. I take the SS to work about once a week or less. I bought the Acclaim for $1900 and did some figuring...it paid for itself already. :thumbs:

Archived