06 Brakes

brutis1984

I have done some searching and havent really found a definitive answer for the rear drum brakes. Does anyone have an idea why they were used as opposed to disk. Perhaps they allow a sitting burn out easier :crackup: I must say they are very large drums. Is it simply that GM wanted to save a little money, or is it a performance issue. I read the front disks were different than previous years, larger dia. and thicker, I dun noh :dunno: , any opinions.

Red 06 SS, stock, 185miles on.

Not to sure why GM went with rear drums :dunno:

I know Baer offers a conversion kit but over a grand makes me :sigh: at that price. But hey brakes are life savers and money shouldn't be an issue if you want the best. Congrats on your new SS ride and welcome :thumbs:

05 SS (AEM CAI, nitrous on the way)

I have done some searching and havent really found a definitive answer for the rear drum brakes. Does anyone have an idea why they were used as opposed to disk.  Perhaps they allow a sitting burn out easier :crackup:  I must say they are very large drums. Is it simply that GM wanted to save a little money, or is it a performance issue.  I read the front disks were different than previous years, larger dia. and thicker, I dun noh :dunno:  , any opinions.

Red 06 SS, stock, 185miles on.

I think it has something to do with the e-brake. I've seen this post before you should search the forum.

Red 06 huh...... Well then how bout some pics :pop::pop:

They did it to save money, I have never been a fan of GM's drum brakes on their trucks, especialy after my mom was almost killed in an accident in her 88 W/T truck(new) when they failed to stop the truck. They sucked then and will always suck, I had many complaints on them when I worked at the dealer.

Ive never heard of drums out performing disks. I think GM saved a couple bucks since they know they are trash anyway. Might be the first upgrade. :jester:

I have a couple nice pics but I am still trying to upload I have been out driving. :driving:

Ive never heard of drums out performing disks. I think GM saved a couple bucks since they know they are trash anyway. Might be the first upgrade. :jester:

i heard it was both better stopping when towing due to self actuation of the shoes

which wedge them selves in the drum during braking causing better braking.

thats why they pivot only on one side and one shoe is always bigger or thicker.

alos the other problem thay were having was the e-brake not getting used

enough and the cable seizing or shoes rusting and when finally appiled the brakes they did not hold or the cable broke. because the e-brake was not getting used enough when it was an automatic.

D

I have heard and read that yes the e-brake was one issue but on the trucks with the larger rear end such as the 2wd SS and the VHO they have drum brakes because the smaller rearend could not handle the power since all of the power was being delivered to the rearend and that the larger rear end was never designed with disk brakes in mind so they just slapped it under the truck and called it done! I must say with the larger front rotors and drums in the rear my 05 VHO stops way better than my 04 SS ever did.

The AWD rear end was not strong enough for a rear wheel drive set up. So they switched rear ends but  the later was not designed for disc brakes. So they slaped drums on there and called it a cost cutting day. Get an AWD rear disc. 2WD rear drum.

I could have sworn thats almost exactly what I said yesterday. :smash:

The AWD rear end was not strong enough for a rear wheel drive set up. So they switched rear ends but  the later was not designed for disc brakes. So they slaped drums on there and called it a cost cutting day. Get an AWD rear disc. 2WD rear drum.

I could have sworn thats almost exactly what I said yesterday. :smash:

I think I have that 'not strong enough' rear end on my 6000 lb, rear wheel drive Avalanche. :(

the '02 to '04 Sierra Denali's have a heavy duty Dana rear end... and have the same rear discs as my C3 and probably the SS. I forget the size but the rear caliper is a dual piston unit.

I understood it was more for the "drum in hat" e-brake issues and because of the complaints of soft "pedal feel"

Archived