ASM Owners

slimsoftball

Have any of you ASM owners had trouble keeping your collector bolts tightened? It seems every time I am under the truck for something and check my bolts they are loose or even off in the case of the top ones. What can be done to fix this?

Has anyone considered cutting the collector off all together and welding the two pipes together?

Mine are rusting a little bit. I swapped out the bolts for stainless and did the copper gaskets. Up top, the rust is noticeable along with some "bubbling". Looks like a replacement will happen within 2yrs. I figure 4 years for some headders isn't too bad on a blown application.

Mine are rusting a little bit.  I swapped out the bolts for stainless and did the copper gaskets.  Up top, the rust is noticeable along with some "bubbling".  Looks like a replacement will happen within 2yrs.  I figure 4 years for some headders isn't too bad on a blown application.

Other than the rust are you having any problems with the bolts getting loose?

I just got under there again today and the two top bolts are loose again. :smash:

On my 1970 Firebird - had a set of Hooker SuperComps that I could not keep the collectors bolted to save my life; always blowing gaskets. Finally gave up and yes had them welded, problem solved! :thumbs: Of course now have to unbolt headers from heads to pull engine, but no prob there in that car.

Mr. P. :)

Eric,

That was the only reason that I didn't like my ASMs. Stainless will not help you for keeping them tight, but will for rust. A little rust will help keep them tight. Get some grade 8 bolts that can withstand really tightening them and then get some loctite. Not much you can do.

Archived