Cam Install Cost!

6.0ss

I have a LPE Cam and Springs that I need installed on my Radix 6.0 Engine.

here is the exact quote from Speed Inc. a local Chevy LS1 Tuning shop.

"The cam install price would be $600 plus gaskets,fluids and A/c

recharge. We will can get you in late next week but we need the truck for 2-3 days to finish the job"

Do you really have to recharge the AC?

Does it really take 2+ days to get this done?

Thats not that bad of a price, if it includes a good set of pushrods then their qoute is on the right page. The a/c doesn't need recharged, but your going to need more coolant. Have them add some water wetter in as well. If your budget permits put on electric fans at the same time while everythign is off.

I think it's a fair price. Speed Inc. does good work too with a solid reputation in the Gen III/IV community. If you hunt enough you can always find a better price but how much experience will the guy have with our engines? It's not necessary but it sure helps.

Speed Inc can update your tune, too, although I would drive to Grand Haven Michigan and have Zippy do it. Zippy would probably do your cam, too, for that matter.

I also would reccommend hardened pushrods while you're at it for an overall valvetrain upgrade. Is that the GT2-3 you're having installed? If so I have the same setup with the Radix.

Good luck with your decision.

Yes it is the GT2-III kit that is being installed with the springs.

Should I just use the LPE hardened Push Rods? or is there someone else that makes a good recomended push rod?

Here are the Two on the LPE Site Choices for H Push Rods

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/7955-16.html

I also can consider, retainers?

Retainers #1

Retainers #2

Retainers #3

And Lifters?

Page with Lifteres

What else,, Gaskets, ETC!??? LOL

Lets make this a 2k Upgrade while I am in there!!!!! LOL

:cheers:

The springs included in the LPE kit are Comp 918's and fit the stock retainers. No need to change those. The LPE hardened pushrods are also from Comp Cams. You can get them from Lingenfelter (easiest) or from a vendor with a better price. Check Tom Byrne. It is also unnecessary to replace the stock roller lifters.

Basically cam, springs and pushrods + replacement gaskets and you will be in business. No need to overdo it. Am I forgetting anything anyone?

That cam is a very nice upgrade with the Radix. Idles smoother than stock with a nice boost in midrange and topend power. You won't be disappointed. :chevy:

$600 to install cam, springs? I don't count rods and retainers because they take like 2 secs each. I don't think it's a very good price, personally.

I would definitely try myself before spending that much. The a/c condenser doesn't need to be removed - if those guys don't know that, chances are they've never worked on a LS1 based vehicle. Go somewhere else where that at least know what the hell they are talking about. Drive it down to VA and I'll help you do it.

Those that have done it themselves have been successful on here. The LS1 how-to site tells you everything you need to know. Read over the directions just once and you'll think, "that's it" at the end of it. Read it 3 times and you'll know most of it by heart.

$600 to install cam, springs?  I don't count rods and retainers because they take like 2 secs each.  I don't think it's a very good price, personally.

I would definitely try myself before spending that much.  The a/c condenser doesn't need to be removed - if those guys don't know that, chances are they've never worked on a LS1 based vehicle.  Go somewhere else where that at least know what the hell they are talking about.  Drive it down to VA and I'll help you do it.

Those that have done it themselves have been successful on here.  The LS1 how-to site tells you everything you need to know.  Read over the directions just once and you'll think, "that's it" at the end of it.  Read it 3 times and you'll know most of it by heart.

Fair enough, but internal engine work isn't for everyone. Some of us don't have the time and/or prefer to let professionals handle at least some things. The question is what is a fair price, not should he do it himself.

I think most good shops (not home garage mechanics) are going to be in the same price range, give or take 100 bucks. Just my $.02. Do you know what they would charge in your area?

Your offer to help is generous, but it ain't that cheap or time effective for a guy from Chicago to drive to Virginia either.

And by the way, coming from the F-Body world I can tell you that Speed Inc. has worked on plenty of LS1 engined vehicles. They are one of the better known shops in the Midwest.

And oh yea, thanks Fuelslut. You will need a fresh crank bolt. Old one will be trashed after removal. :chevy:

Fair enough, but internal engine work isn't for everyone. Some of us don't have the time and/or prefer to let professionals handle at least some things. The question is what is a fair price, not should he do it himself.

I think most good shops (not home garage mechanics) are going to be in the same price range, give or take 100 bucks. Just my $.02. Do you know what they would charge in your area?

Your offer to help is generous, but it ain't that cheap or time effective for a guy from Chicago to drive to Virginia either.

And by the way, coming from the F-Body world I can tell you that Speed Inc. has worked on plenty of LS1 engined vehicles. They are one of the better known shops in the Midwest.

And oh yea, thanks Fuelslut. You will need a  fresh crank bolt. Old one will be trashed after removal.  :chevy:

So did you post just to contradict what I posted? I assure mine was not just to contradict yours.

Trust me, I know a cam swap is not everyone's thing. Some people will pay to have plugs replaced, but it doesn't stop 20 people on here telling them they should have done it themselves. Yeah, a big diff, but the same nonetheless.

Had it not been for this site, I would have never tried it myself. It's not too often that you can find a place that gives a step-by-step picture tutorial on "your" motor. The tuturial would give anyone the confidence to do it themselves. Sometimes all that is needed is a little encouragement - that is all I was trying to do. When it comes down to it it's his decision, I merely posted an alternative.

Im glad you think my offer was generous. Practical or not, it still stands. I would offer it to anyone. Up to them if they have to drive a little ways or not. All I would ask for is their help - no money. Again, his decision.

I know Speed Inc. has a rep in the f-body world. They are the ones that did GEARMUP's truck. Still doesn't take away the fact that they offered up erroneous information. $600 may be a fair price, not all that sure of what it would cost in this area. In Pensacola, where I came from, it's closer to $1k.

Archived