Cam Install Cost!

6.0ss

Ben I appreciate the Encouragement to do it myself. I have done everything on the truck except the engine and driveline work. I would take a stab at it myself, But I have to line up a car for a few days to get it done. And if i have trouble I will have to have it towed to speed inc and probably pay the 600$ anyway.

Ill look into the tutorial. What makes me nervous is the radix mounted on top. I did not install it and doing engine work makes me a little uneasy. I did change my cam in my EVO VIII I had, that was an easy DOHC set up.

I have found Comp Cams Gen III/LS1/LS6 Pushrods 5/16 7.400 but There are also some stock length ones. What is the difference??

Thanks for all of your information. If there is anything that you want to add please let me know. :)

Ben I appreciate the Encouragement to do it myself.  I have done everything on the truck except the engine and driveline work.  I would take a stab at it myself, But I have to line up a car for a few days to get it done.  And if i have trouble I will have to have it towed to speed inc and probably pay the 600$ anyway.

Ill look into the tutorial.  What makes me nervous is the radix mounted on top. I did not install it and doing engine work makes me a little uneasy.  I did change my cam in my EVO VIII I had, that was an easy DOHC set up. 

I have found Comp Cams Gen III/LS1/LS6 Pushrods 5/16 7.400 but There are also some stock length ones.  What is the difference??

Thanks for all of your information.  If there is anything that you want to add please let me know. :)

7.400" rods will work as a stock replacement. the tutorial can be found here: Cam swap article. It covers everything you need. Read over it a couple of times and if you have any questions, I'll send you my cell phone number to call me. I had never gotten internal to my engine before either, but that article made it seem so easy, I had to try it.

Don't worry about the Radix on there. It won't make any difference, because it stays where its at. I did 3 of them with the Radix on. I can even keep you from doing the damge that I did to my cam bearings, if we talk. Kind of hard and long to explain on here.

Tbyrne sells a very good spring compressor tool. I also used a cheap, big ass lever type from NAPA. The two work good together to do one part of the spring swap. A couple of magnet pens and you're set for the springs.

We have enough mistakes/lessons learned on here from doing it to keep you from having any of the same type of issues. Ultimately up to you. Check over the tool list and make sure you can cover it. If not, the shop may be the only option, although the tools will cost less than what they want for the install.

PM me if you want my phone# for assistance. Others on here can help as well.

isn't speed inc the place that was doing jeff's 427 SSS?

That was the last I knew, as I posted about it. Cool place. Very helpful over the phone also.

i must have missed that. did you ever ask them about that truck?

isn't speed inc the place that was doing jeff's 427 SSS?

That was the last I knew, as I posted about it. Cool place. Very helpful over the phone also.

i must have missed that. did you ever ask them about that truck?

No, this was back when Jeff still had the Radix on his truck. Called to ask how they mounted the reservior with the electric fans, since directions showed mounting it to the stock shroud.

Archived