What to buy?

BigBoyToy

First off, I would like to let you know that I do not intend to piss anyone off. I have a little problem you see. I want to move up to a High Performance Truck, and keep hearing that the SS is nice, but just not a whole lot more than a big engine and AWD. Now, you have to keep in mind that that comes from a guy who knows so little about his own Ford Lightning, that he put too big of a pully on it and leaned out his engine. Just want to know what you think would be the best truck to buy between Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. I love my Silverado that I have now, but I need to go a bit faster. Just along the lines of what is easier to upgrade and what is the best truck to start with. So far it is the SS, but I have no idea. Thanks for your help.

It depends on what your goals are, daily driver, all out performance, 1/8 vs 1/4 mile vs street kills. How much are you willing to spend up front and how much do you plan to put into it????? Do you want a sleeper or an eye grabber??? Do you care if it announces its arrival a block early or not until you jump on it.

To answer your questions you need to make sure you know what you want....

First off, I would like to let you know that I do not intend to piss anyone off.  I have a little problem you see.  I want to move up to a High Performance Truck, and keep hearing that the SS is nice, but just not a whole lot more than a big engine and AWD.  Now, you have to keep in mind that that comes from a guy who knows so little about his own Ford Lightning, that he put too big of a pully on it and leaned out his engine.  Just want to know what you think would be the best truck to buy between Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.  I love my Silverado that I have now, but I need to go a bit faster.  Just along the lines of what is easier to upgrade and what is the best truck to start with.  So far it is the SS, but I have no idea.  Thanks for your help.

Well The SS is not really a high performance when compared to a lightning or an SRT-10 ram. If you are looking for straight performance, I would recommend keeping your lightning. With some mods those things are really fast. If driven properly an SRT-10 is a beast. The SS no longer comes awd for 06, so if that was prerequisite that you were looking at, you would have switch over to the Sierra denali which has the 345hp LQ9, awd, QC. That is basically it when it comes to awd trucks. I find the SS to be great in the winter with decent performance when needed. As for mods, there are plenty (just search the forum)

wait... do you own the lightning or does the guy who told you about the ss own the lightning? blah whatever... haha.. yeah.. like stated before, ya gotta let us know what your goals are and the budget... i say if ya got the money, just get a reg cab silverado, drop in a built 408 and turbo and built tranny and call it a day if your goin for speed.. but if your goin for one of the 3 trucks, i say buy a used ss or lightning.. the lightning is fast stock and ive seen a bunch get into the 11s. the ss is a more practical choice in my opinion.. awd and a good engine foundation. the ext cab is great if its a daily driver with the family.. but also, youve got so many aftermarket options and can get into the 12s and 11s like some of the guys here. The srt10 is fast ofcourse, but i say keep the money and just tune the lightning or ss. good luck

if i were to choose a truck besides an SSS it would probably be a ram srt-10, 500 natural ponies, i mean its got alot more displacement but its an impressive truck, if you wanted to save yourself about 20 grand buy a supercharger or put a turbo on an SSS

Archived