Steering Wheel

2003SilvSS

Can someone please explain to me how to get the steering wheel off without setting off the air bag? Something inside of my column is rattling and I want to fix it. I am not positive if it is the intermediate steering shaft or not, I just need to look and it and see what's going on. You never hear the rattle when your are driving in a straight line, it's just when you have the steering wheel turned to 2 O'clock or more. For example, if you pull into a drive somewhere that has an incline or a decline and is rough at the bottom, you will always feel/hear this rattle. I complained about it when I first got the truck and they replaced my entire steering column, which also replaced the intermediate steering shaft. Is there a good book out there that tells how to do things on a SS? I used to have a HAYNES on my blazer and I always did any maint work to it. Thanks everyone. If I come up with a clever fix to a common problem, I will definitely share with pics. Thanks

Brian

I've tried getting up under the dash and pulling on the steering columns in the engine compartment. I can't repeat the sound. It really sounds like it is in the columns, center where the ingnition switch is. That's why I want to pull the steering wheel off and I don't know how. Do you just pull on the horn til that pops off? Do I need to disconnect the battery first? This all sounds simple, but I don't want to screw anything up. Know what I mean? If this had been on my old Charger, I would have had it out and fixed in less than 2 hours.

Brian

Can someone please tell me how to get the steering wheel off? Pop the horn off? What about the air bag? Do I need to disconnect any sensors or the battery? Do I need a set of pullers? Anything else that I need to watch out for? I'm sure someone has pulled their steering wheel off. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Brian

helms is the best manual you can get, its the same one the dealers have, there kind of expensive

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?S...A7WPTBCKCNC4WKB

disconnect battery negative, pull sir fuse, disconnect connect with yellow wires at base of steering colum

turn wheel 90 degrees from center both ways you'll see 2 slots on bach of each side, have to slide a small screw driver in slots and release the 4 clips that hold bag on wheel, you need 2 special tools, one to compress horn ring so you can pop off ring on shaft and puller to pull off wheel.

if you don't have them and can't get hold of them and its still under warrenty take it back and tell them it wasn't fixed and is still making noise

I turned the steering wheel 90 degrees and see the two slots that are inside there. I took a screw driver and pushed and twisted and I can't get them to pop loose. This is bad, I can't even get teh horn off. Can someone give me a little more detail when it comes to getting the horn off? Thanks

Brian

Dude,

Being that your effort affects the airbag system you may want a pro like a dealership to do the work...may work out a whole lot cheaper in the end...and they assume the liability of the airbag system working properly after its all done.

My guess is that your intermediate steering shaft needs to be re-lubed...that rattle sounds like what I had in 01 Silverado, 02 Suburban and my 03 SSS

See: www.alldata.com for SBs on vehicles.

Z

there are little holes on the side of the steering wheel, use a pick or small screwdriver, push in and it will release the air bag. you probably wont find anything wrong inside, it usually is the intermediate shaft, i have replaced a bunch of them for that concern just my two cents

These holes.... like 1/8" diameter? If so, I didn't think those were for anything. I want to do this myself because the truck is not under warranty, my father has his own heater shop, I just need to figure out HOW to fix it. I'll try those small holes and see what happens. Has anyone replaced the intermediate steering shaft themselves? Was it very difficult? And BTW, my truck is out of warranty. Thanks!

Brian

Archived