Home made blower

2003SilvSS

I watched the leaft blower video this mornig and it got my mind to thinking. Why couldn't a person come up with some type of electric blower motor, pipe that into the intake system and increase power? Maybe buy a used intake box, cut a hole in it and force the air into there. Or just build a Y into the stock system, use some type of filter and force feed the air into there. Maybe setup a boost gauge to see how much pressure you are forcing with a switch inside to turn it all on?

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005...atname=electric

I wonder how much compression you could force with a fan like that? If you used 3"tubing and made an adapter to go on the flange of that motor, and piped it into a Y into the intake tube, it wouldn't help? A leaf blower is around 100 CFM and that thing is up around mid 400's. I'm not saying that you're going to gain any where even close to a regular blower/supercharger, but heck, I'd be happy with even 25 hp. I wouldn't plan to use it very often, just for play. I guess the question of the compression would be to how much can you generate with a fan like this? It's only 50$, I might buy one and setup a test to see what I can make. If I made an adapter plate for the flange and used a capped 3ft long piece of say 3" tubing, I wonder what will happen. I'm just thinking, and looking for an in expensive toy to build that will have fun benefits without getting me in trouble with Johnny Law

Brian

:withstupid: ive seen one that had 3 starter motors on it and you could only use it for short periods of time and it took a lot of voltage

To give you an idea of what's required - belt-driven superchargers typically draw 35-60hp from the crank to deliver boost. Example, if your vehicle shows an additional 100-hp gain on the dyno, it is probably making and additional 150-hp but 50 of which is turning the blower, leaving 100-hp net to the wheels...

Mr. P. :)

Well like you say it all comes down to costs. What you are wanting to do is to get more O2 into the combustion chamber, and you're wondering what's the most cost-effective way to do that... engine-driven air compression, external driven compression, NOS, turbo, or something far-out like nitromethane (WAHAHAHA) or liquified air or bottled O2???

Mr. P.

There are a couple problems with using a leafblower or something similar on your motor:

1) Even though they are rated at ~1000 CFM, that's with ZERO restriction. Your TB, intake, and valve timing all provide a restriction, so that would SEVERLY limit the flow from a compresssor like that...so you'd need a VERY powerful motor to generate positive intake pressure (think gas powered, COMMERCIAL quality blower)...but with that in mind, see #2 -->

2) Our motors make ~345HP...that's roughly 35lbs/min of airflow max. In CFM, that's close to 5000...find me the leaf blower that does 5000cfm...!!! And to move 5000cfm, THROUGH A RESTRICTION, you'll need more than that amount.

I would wager that to create meaningful boost on an LQ9, you'd need a ~7500cfm blower...and that would need to be gas powered. For that much trouble, stick a 5hp Craftsman under the hood to power a Vortech centrifugal Blower, and make REAL power.

- Brian

I see the data and see why it would not even some what closely compare to a Vortech, or any other aftermarket super charger. But, what would the gains be? Any? I wish I was in college or somewhere to where i could try this on a dyno. I could maybe try it on my Predator 500. My warranty is up at the end of the year. That would be funny, smoke someone's quad and they ask what you have in it. I have a little squirrel blowing on it. I bet 435 CFM's would have a lot more impact on a 30.5 CI motor (500cc). I want to play damn it. Hell a super charger kit for a quad is over 2000$. A freaking aftermarket carb for my quad is almost 600 dollars for a good one. It's crazy that 4-wheeler parts are almost as high as a auto parts. A cam set for my quad is almost 500$.

But, what would the gains be?  Any?

There was a video of a gas powered blower on a Civic...it did ~160rwhp on the first dyno pull, and made ~10rwhp from the addition of a big-ass gas powered leaf blower.

But since we already make ~2.5 times the power...I think it would be more of a restriction in the intake path at the ~345HP power level.

But it would be INSANE on a 500cc motor!!!!!!!!!

- Brian

There is a website for Predator owners, much like the SS forum here, it is predatorowners.com I got on there and started looking around for turbos/superchargers for quads and sure enough, some guy on there has kits for sell. $2500 for a setup. That's just crazy. I like my quad, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something I ride maybe once on a weekend.

Brian

I'll do some fabricating later this fall and see what happens on putting an electric fan blower on a quad.

Archived