408 total cost

Here you go!

How much would it cost to build a 408?

Machine cost for your block to be bored .030" - $250

Or, new block - $650

Rotating assy - $1999-$3600, depending on which one (Eagle, Callies, ....)

Engine removal - $250-$500

Build cost - $250-$500

42lb injectors - $400

Reinstall motor - $250-$500

Tune - $250

Subtract some of the things you could do yourself. This doesn't include any head work, which depending on which way you go can be from $200-$300 for a p&p job, or up to $2000 for new heads.

There are some complete shortblocks out there for about $4.5K. Depending on how aggressive you want to go you could use your stock heads or maybe add another $2-3K for ported heads at the C/R you want, and a bigger cam to make better use of the extra cubes.

Installation shouldn't be too heinous. For a complete engine + install + tuning I bet Naked AV isn't too far off the mark. A 408 may not breathe so well through the stock exhaust manifolds. Headers would be extra bucks. :chevy:

I'd say $10,000 to do it right, just because it's a nice round number.  :D

Actually, I've heard that's what you should plan on, something in that ball park, or more.  :eek:

:cry::cry::cry: about there done right! My 408 is built like a mack truck with some top end parts, oh yeah not counting the tranny either.

when it comes to building a 408, you have to look at whether you're just looking to gain the additional cubes for now and build on to it later or if you're going to make alot of changes at once such as heads, cam, etc.

I am going on about $7,000 right now and mine should be good to go. This is me doing most of the work my self.  You have to put some money towards a tranny too.

$7k is about right. That's including buying top-end stgIII heads. Also includes doing all the heavy labor yourself. I wouldn't include the tranny as part of the 408 stuff. A tranny can last for quite a while behind a 408, as it can also be done with a Radix. Torque is around the same, I'd say. It all comes down to how you treat it whether it last or not - tranny.

make sure everything is forged so you don't run into problems later down the road.

For stroker cranks, not sure you can buy them any other way. Every rotating assy I've seen already comes with all forged pieces.

i was thinking the same. i don't believe it's available any other way.

Archived