me

muscleshop

sorry about the title gang, didnt mean to do that, but couldnt find a delete buton either. lol

Anyway, here is somethig to think about:

My GUESS is that the "stock" Silverado SS will be 1.0-1.5 secs slower in the 1/4 than the "stock" Lightning. Even though it shouldnt be compared to it, but rather to the Harley Edition, everyone will anyway so here goes. Here is what I base it on...

1. Lightning weight 4670lbs vs. SS weight of 5298, difference of 628lbs = .628 advantage to the Lightning (all other things being equal which they arent)

2. Lightning final drive ratio 3.73's vs. SS fdr of 4.10's = advantage SS in the time department anyway, possibly .1-.2 advantage, so the running tally is still Lightning -.528 to -.428

3. Lightning Gears 1st 2.71, 2nd 1.53, 3rd 1.00 vs. SS gears 1st 3.06, 2nd 1.63, 3rd 1.0 = advantage SS of maybe .08-.2? Running total now at Lightning -.448 to -.228

4. Lightning hp/tq 380hp @ 4750rpm & 450ftlbs @ 3250 vs SS 345hp @ 5200 & 380ftlbs @ 4000 = HUGE advantage Lightning, probably -1.25 to -.772, running total of 1.2 to 1.7 advantage Lightning.

5. Lightning RWD vs SS AWD = advantage SS. Probably in the range of .2, so ther you have it. lol My BEST GUESS about the actual 1/4 mile performance. We shall see when they actually hit the strip how close I come.

So, the thing to think about is..it WONT take mcuh at all to keep up with the Lightnings in this Ext cab version. About say, 80hp & 100ftlbs and things should be about dead even with a "stock' Lightning..lol

Yup, that is why I have a supercharger on my shopping list :D It actually puts us ahead in the race until you subract some power for the AWD. I am not sure how much that is, but some have claimed it is 10% more loss. That sounds way too high, but even using the 10% figure, things are close to even.

It will be interesting to see which supercharger wins my purchase. It is either the Kenne Bell or the Whipple. Both screw type compressors.

why does everyone compair the SS to the Ford Lightning?... its more compairable with the Ford-HD EDT is it not? :blink:

Yes, I think that the Chevrolet Silverado SS's main competition is the Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 SuperCrew.

Justin

why does everyone compair the SS to the Ford Lightning?... its more compairable with the Ford-HD EDT is it not? :blink:

Yes, I think that the Chevrolet Silverado SS's main competition is the Ford Harley-Davidson F-150 SuperCrew.

Justin

Why would you want to compare it to the Harley.Personally i think the Harleys a lump.Just my opinion though.

Muscleshop, for what this is worth, you might get an idea how close your numbers are by comparing them to the test I think C&D did many years ago w/ the Syclone and Ferrari.

Obviously not comparing anything from then w/ now, but just run the same routine w/ the same info for those vehicles to gage how close your numbers match w/ actual performance. Now, I realize it's hardly scientific, and there was a wider difference in vehicle type (truck vs sports car), but who knows?

I don't think there's any question the SS will launch better, but it's the mid range and end that will tell the tale. It will definitely be interesting to see how the SS does. I'm sure some of the mags will be doing this test as soon as they can get their hands on one of each. I do agree that despite the SS not being targeted at the L, people are gonna compare it that way anyways.

I don't have that article anymore to get the numbers, but this is just a thought. :)

According to the simple math they are about a second off.

Lightning

Enter your car's weight and horsepower.

Weight: 4670

HP: 380

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated 1/4 mile ET: 13.43

Estimated 1/4 mile MPH: 101.48

SS

Enter your car's weight and horsepower.

Weight: 5298

HP: 345

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated 1/4 mile ET: 14.47

Estimated 1/4 mile MPH: 94.23

I personnally like this pic.

Cargo.jpg

Now lets use this to compare the SS and Lightning. I guess the both could fit the same amout in the back but the SS has ext cab. This ext cab could be used to fill up with kegs or girls or better yet girls with kegs. :D

Think about that one for a while.

Archived