6.0 swap to 408 DYNO?

j4nash

Well I am going to swap my 6.0 LQ9 for a 408 and I found a dyno that will fit my AWD SS. But now I just need to swap my 6.0 for the 408 and I have no place to do the swap. I was just wondering if anyone near me has a place that they could help me do the swap so I could get you guys some dyno results on a N/A 408. I’m in Lincoln NE

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Kansas City and have a 1400 sq/ft garage. I've done a motor swap on my camaro before, I don't think it would be much harder, hell, it would probably be easier. I would do it for you for $$$. I could even do a base tune with a wideband for you.

I thought you had decided that months ago? Your original 408 thread was too old to use, I guess? :shakehead:

Do the swap yourself. Doesn't take a shop or a garage, just tools. If the weather does not support it, then wait until it does. Swapping the engines will be easier than your ATI install.

Wait a minute. That never did run right, did it? I take that back...pay somebody to do it for you :P

I thought you had decided that months ago?  Your original 408 thread was too old to use, I guess? :shakehead:

Do the swap yourself.  Doesn't take a shop or a garage, just tools.  If the weather does not support it, then wait until it does.  Swapping the engines will be easier than your ATI install. 

Wait a minute.  That never did run right, did it?  I take that back...pay somebody to do it for you :P

I am with you Ben, Same song second verse, same as the first.

j4nash, do you have your 408 at this time? Would share the specs with us Please?

CD

I thought you had decided that months ago?  Your original 408 thread was too old to use, I guess? :shakehead:

Do the swap yourself.  Doesn't take a shop or a garage, just tools.  If the weather does not support it, then wait until it does.  Swapping the engines will be easier than your ATI install. 

Wait a minute.  That never did run right, did it?  I take that back...pay somebody to do it for you :P

he was able to pull off the cam swap so i'd say he's capable of changing the engine. living in an apt. building though can put a stop to it quickly. they don't allow that kind of work in the parking lot. another problem is having an engine stand and engine hoist/cherry picker. with living in an apt. complex there isn't much point to even just buy them for future use since storage isn't going to be easy. renting them would be ok, but would you trust leaving something outside that you've rented? that's a good way for it to get the engine and rented item stolen. i would have to agree that he should find someone's garage and pay for a bit of help not only to help some issue's go smoother, but to take care of the tools issue. a second or third hand is fairly handy also when actually slipping the engine in to align everything up.

I am with you Ben, Same song second verse, same as the first.

j4nash, do you have your 408 at this time? Would share the specs with us Please?

CD

I do have my 408 and i got it a few weeks ago and just have not had time to even think about putting it in. as for the specs i would have to get those for you. But I would really like to get some dyno numbers and then prove that the 408 can put down great numbers they way I had it build. If I can get this 408 in by the end of December I will be putting it on a awd dyno and then get some good numbers for you guys.

Ben you just don’t give up do you.

I live in a apartment and don’t have a way to swap the motor without having some help. It is not that I am afraid to do the swap but that I just need to get it done in a short amount of time since this is my only vehicle. Also I can’t just swap a motor in the parking lot when we have a few inches of snow.

Justin (that is your name right - forget), I've known people that were motor heads and lived in apartments. Usually, most places will not give you hassle if done in out of the way areas, usually the back sections, of an apartment complex. A guy that used to work for me a while back even did a frame-off rebuild in the parking lot.

If you live on the first floor buying the lift is no problem. It has wheels and can easily be stored in a spare room with the legs stored up and out of the way - seen it done also. 2nd floor or higher can make a difference, but have heard from the one guy I knew that had one in his apartment saying that someone else had one in his complex on the 3rd floor. It may require two people, but not a showstopper.

Weather on the other hand can stop it all. That is why I said what I said about weather.

An engine swap done with minimal assistance can be done in less than 6hrs. I have done 2 of them under that with no problems. The minimal assistnce I got was my wife lowering the boom very, very slowly to align the engine mount bolts - that is it.

Given all that, I would say that the garage or place to install it should have been the first arrangement you made prior to purchase of the engine.

You're going to hold off on telling us the specs until you get it to a dyno? It should put down great numbers over the stock motor regardless of how tame and/or beasty you have built it. I would like to know the heads and cam you decided on - the only two things that matter, along with CR. Tuning - a whole other issue, but sure zippy is on tap for that.

All I know is if I spent $3k+ on a new motor, I'd want it in bad enough to do what I had to do rather than carry on the endless posting about your issues when they really are under your control. Even if that meant having a shop do it for me. Cost about $800 to have done in my area. At this point, what's another K?

well if your hear in lincoln that would be better then going to kc.

it looks like i will eather be going to kc and having 383ss help me or maybe jblaze67 can help me hear in lincoln

whenever you can make it, my schedule is pretty open :thumbs:

I can't believe you guys are encouraging him to do it in an appartment complex?? and buying a lift and store it in his apartment?? thats nuts. hell in NB in december there could be 2' of snow on the ground and be in the single digits, not to mention all the fluids you have to deal with, daylight hours in winter and lack of privacy. no way in hell I would ever attempt to to that :nonod:

I can't believe you guys are encouraging him to do it in an appartment complex??  and buying a lift and store it in his apartment?? thats nuts.  hell in NB in december there could be 2' of snow on the ground and be in the single digits, not to mention all the fluids you have to deal with, daylight hours in winter and lack of privacy.  no way in hell I would ever attempt to to that  :nonod:

:withstupid:

Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done or is even close to being desirable.

Archived