My 1st ever speeding ticket

Luke

Well the Wyoming HP got me on my way home from work. :banghead: I was doing 86 in a 65. I met him at the crest of a hill and couldn't do much. I was just getting ready to really lay into it too (lucked out on that one :thumbs:). The ticket was $93. I knew the officer (not to mention where he lives, his son, and his full name). Only in Wyoming! I pulled over before he even turned on his lights. Should I just pay it or take it to court? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

a $93 ticket for doing almost 20mph over, dang that is cheap. Did he write you up for speeding or some other stupid violation instead? If it was a minor violation and you dont get points pay it, if its going to give you points fight it, and always deny deny deny, lol

You would think he would have helped you since he knew you. Any way, ask for a hearing. plead stupidity, sun was in your eyes, you had a sneezing fit,whatever. Just try to get them to not give you the points. The fine isn't what hurts, the points are. If you get the points added to your lic and your ins co does a check your rates will go up possably for three years.

Avoid the points. Be polite to everyone but just ask for some help so you dont get the points. Youn don't have anything to loose. Good luck.

Remeber all the costs involved:

1) The cost of the ticket. :banghead:

2) Court cost if not already included in the ticket. :banghead:

3) Insurance cost if the ticket stays on your record. :banghead:

And the most important cost of all.

4) The pain in the A$$ the spouse becomes when she never lets you forget!!! :mad:

Go in and talk to the judge and ask for a deferred finding. They usually last a year and after that year, if you don't get anymore like violations, it won't go on your record. They will however most likely make you pay some if not all of the $93.

:withstupid::withstupid: Thats a pretty minor ticket. I had my first ticket a few years ago, i was doing 81 in a 55 (i was slowing down when the cop popped me). The fine was cheap and there were no points. Usaully first offences they don't dish out tickets, unless its a careless or reckless driving.

Good luck :thumbs:

I think I'll just pay it. I'd have to take off work for court (county court), so I'd get hit there too. I'm not sure if we have a points system in Wyoming. I had a clean driving record prior to this ticket.

It's a small town so the HP knows about everyone. In fact I saw the officer in his street clothes at the post office this morning. Thanks for the advice.

Let's see....

86 MPH in a 65 MPH zone in Massachusetts in only $210.00, and sercharge on your insurance for the next 6 years. $93 bucks is so cheap!!!!!

.... If you know the cop, Go talk to him and appeal it. He may help you out in court. When I write up someone for speeding.... I always tell them to appeal it. If they get off, who cares, there are always people speeding out there.

Check into a "Trial by Written Declaration." I have taken advantage of it twice in CA. Basically you plead your ticket through the mail with a written statement. If the officer doesn't provide his written testimony by the deadline, the case is dropped. Remember, he gets overtime for going to court. He doesn't get OT for writing the report a second time on the court required form. Then, if you are still found guilty, you can request a "Trial de novo" which is where you then fight it in court and have the chance that he won't appear. That is two opportunities to beat it. I don't know if the rules are the same in WY but for anyone in Cali... do it.

About a year ago the officer didn't respond so they dismissed it. Then, on a different one, back in March I was found guilty after my written statement (tailgating in the fastlane :D ) and I requested the second chance in court. Sacramento County made a typo on my appearance date and put 8:30PM instead of 8:30AM. I showed at 8:30PM at the front door which was locked but my face was on camera. Went in the next day and they dismissed it. Dumba$$es.

pay the fine. Sounds pretty cheap. I've got to send in $178 before Jan. Third ticket in a year, 2 by the same state tropper. The guy writes more tickets than any other state trooper(KY). Funny thing is. when I drove the wife's accord to work, I hit 120+ mph pretty often, but never got pulled over. The truck just sticks out. :banghead:

Archived