GM To close 9 Assembly, Stamping & Powertrain

Mervz

It's nice to see while 30,000 people are going to be getting axed a month before x-mas that all you give a crap about is your stocks rising! :sigh:

It is nice b/c the funds I used to purchas GM stock when it was at its very worse in some small way go towards keeping the corporation afloat. Yes, its shitty that 30,000 people are going to get cut loose, but what else can/should I do to prevent that?

At least I have the balls to reinvest some money into GM and back it. Most people only buy the vehicles, bitch about the quality, and take advantage of any incentive, warranty, or discount they can get. So who is actually doing more to back up GM's 30,000 recently laid off employees?

My stock rising means that the company I have invested in is making a recovery so they don't have to lay off another 30,000 next year at this time... so yes... yes it is VERY NICE.

Please think before making an ignorant post next time. :smash:

Maybe if the stock keeps rising they might be able to put those people back to work, or not lay off that many.

GM neds to be active in the market, not reactive to the market.

Hybrid vehicles are a waste of money, imo. Fuel milage is maybe 1-2 MPG better for 5K-8K more than the gas equivalent. They need to make cars that people want to drive.

So gas equivalent motors are getting 48 MPG? What you been smoking? :crazy:

The Toyota Prius, although not getting its rated 65 MPG, still gets 50 MPG around town. The only thing close to that is the VW TDI motor, which gets 38-42 MPG or so in their Jetta/Golf platform. There is no gas equivalent even close.

I will concede, though, that the Prius is ugly as hell. That's one thing they will have to do if they want to sell hybrid cars is design them so people will want to buy them and drive them.

It's nice to see while 30,000 people are going to be getting axed a month before x-mas that all you give a crap about is your stocks rising! :sigh:

It is nice b/c the funds I used to purchas GM stock when it was at its very worse in some small way go towards keeping the corporation afloat. Yes, its shitty that 30,000 people are going to get cut loose, but what else can/should I do to prevent that?

At least I have the balls to reinvest some money into GM and back it. Most people only buy the vehicles, bitch about the quality, and take advantage of any incentive, warranty, or discount they can get. So who is actually doing more to back up GM's 30,000 recently laid off employees?

My stock rising means that the company I have invested in is making a recovery so they don't have to lay off another 30,000 next year at this time... so yes... yes it is VERY NICE.

Please think before making an ignorant post next time. :smash:

My post is not ignorant, you came off sounding like to me imo like all you care about is your stock and could careless that it just took 30,000 people to make it look a little better on paper atm.

Ok 2006 Honda Civic EX $18260. MPG 30/40. 2006 Civic Hybrid $21850 in DX trim MPG 49/51. That's a difference of $3K, plus EX being the top of the line, and DX being the low end. The standard Civic DX starts at $14560. Now we're at a 7K difference, comparing apples to apples. Plus, the MPG figures are not in the real world, so they probably wouldn't be that much of a difference. Then there's the batteries for the electric motor. Higher maintainence cost ect. Not trying to start an argument, just saying it would have to be a substatial fuel savings to justify the extra cost.

Ok 2006 Honda Civic EX $18260. MPG 30/40. 2006 Civic Hybrid $21850 in DX trim MPG 49/51. That's a difference of $3K, plus EX being the top of the line, and DX being the low end. The standard Civic DX starts at $14560. Now we're at a 7K difference, comparing apples to apples. Plus, the MPG figures are not in the real world, so they probably wouldn't be that much of a difference. Then there's the batteries for the electric motor. Higher maintainence cost ect. Not trying to start an argument, just saying it would have to be a substatial fuel savings to justify the extra cost.

Cherry pick your info and you'll end up talking with yourself, since I'm only interested in having a discussion, not an argument.

Since it is obvious all you want to do is win an argument, you're on your own.

Cherry pick your info and you'll end up talking with yourself, since I'm only interested in having a discussion, not an argument.

Since it is obvious all you want to do is win an argument, you're on your own.

I'm really not trying to start, win, loose, or whatever anything. With the reasearch I've done, comparing apples to apples, it's not worth it , imo. But that's me, if you think it's a good thing, then go for it.

I don't get you. I said "fuel efficient vehicles or alternative fuel vehicles or hybrid vehicles" and all you focus on is the hybrid part and attack it. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, GM needs something besides big, hulking SUV's and trucks to make it going forward. They certainly need a car that sells well other than the Corvette. Does GM even make another car? If they do, I've never noticed it.

All of their cars don't have to be fuel efficient in order to sell...see the 300C and the Magnum for good examples.

Ideally, they would have a mix of make cars that are powerful, and cars that are fuel efficient, both designed so people would want to buy them and drive them.

I like GM trucks, but their cars still all look like Chevy Citations to me. :puke:

the unions originated out of the "gangs" of the 1800's in NY as I recall. They needed them back then so that the different immigrants could get work and find housing. Some became corrupt then... just as now. Personally I see no need for unions in todays times even though I have family members that are in them.

as far as 30,000 people loosing their jobs just before Christmas I guess the part about these plants being "phased out"got missed. The quotes were "A total of 30,000 manufacturing positions will be eliminated from 2005 through 2008." and "Given the demographics of GM's workforce, the company plans to achieve much of the job reduction via attrition and early retirement programs."

doesn't sound much like a mass layoff to me...rather more of a phased restructuring.

I don't get you.  I said "fuel efficient vehicles or alternative fuel vehicles or hybrid vehicles" and all you focus on is the hybrid part and attack it.  Whatever.    :rolleyes:

Bottom line, GM needs something besides big, hulking SUV's and trucks to make it going forward.  They certainly need a car that sells well other than the Corvette.  Does GM even make another car?  If they do, I've never noticed it.

All of their cars don't have to be fuel efficient in order to sell...see the 300C and the Magnum for good examples. 

Ideally, they would have a mix of make cars that are powerful, and cars that are fuel efficient, both designed so people would want to buy them and drive them. 

I like GM trucks, but their cars still all look like Chevy Citations to me.  :puke:

You have a good point. GM needs to build something that people want. Alternative fuels are a good idea, and you're right, they don't have to be that fuel efficient to sell.

I just see, not neccessarily on here, so many people jumping on the hybrid bandwagon as the wave of the future. I just don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. I'm just stating my personal opinion. Sometimes I can be over zealous with my opinions. As I stated before, I'm not trying to start anything, and this just may be a simple misunderstanding/misinterpretation. Just stating my opinion, that's all.

I think there are 2 vehicles in GMs future... and I'm banking on these b/c I am heavily invested with them:

1) Hydrogen Cell - a car powered by good old Hydrogen with the only by-product being unpolluted H20!! GM should be the first to bring the hydorgen cell vehicle to market making the first 100% clean vehicle mass produced for the US market... ZERO EMMISSIONS

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_te..._fcv/sequel.pdf

2) Big HP in RWD - we've all seen the steps taken by GM with the production of RWD V8 cars (GTO, CTSV, and most of the new caddy line) these are indicators of the forward thinking there. Coupled with the recent "World Beater" attitude of the Corvette team I foresee a big HP RWD car wearing a bowtie... if not the camaro something else... if they do it right there could be a big market grab away from the mustang.

Again, these are just my opinions... I've done a ton of research and I have backed that with investment into GM so if I'm right.... JACKPOT... if not I wasted alot of money... but that my $0.02 :thumbs:

just some info on why i think the sequel could be big for GM... government and corporate interest:

2005-

January GM and Shell Hydrogen announce a plan to deliver 13 GM fuel-cell vehicles and hydrogen refueling stations to the greater New York City metropolitan area. The fleet of vehicles will be deployed under the U.S. Department of Energy’s Learning Demo.

March GM announces a 5-year, $88-million agreement with the U.S. Department of Energy to build a 40-vehicle fuel-cell fleet. Demonstration fleets to be deployed in Washington, D.C.; New York; California and Michigan.

April GM introduces the world’s first fuel-cell-powered truck into U.S. military service, delivering the vehicle to the U.S. Army at GM’s research facility in Honeoye Falls, N.Y.

June GM and IKEA launch a test of a GM HydroGen3 fuel-cell vehicle in Berlin. IKEA personnel will use the vehicle on customer service trips as part of the Clean Energy Partnership Berlin project.

Good article off the wire.

First, some feedback from an intelligent guy named Charles Fleetham:

"The overall product mix for 2006 is reflective of the short-term thinking of GM," Fleetham said. "GM's overall offerings are more representative of the 1999 mindset than the needs of today. The consumer of 2006 has environmental concerns, is mindful of fuel economy and is more style-conscious."

Then, some great wisdom from some consulting firm that GM has no doubt paid millions to:

"I think the products for 2006 are quite strong," Michael Robinet, vice president of global vehicle forecast at CSM Worldwide, a consulting and research firm, said. "If we can keep fuel prices at $2 a gallon, I think GM will float to the top of the SUV and full-size pick-up market," he said, referring to GM's profit centers.

Make sure you retain those guys going forward. :ughdance:

The entire article:

Article

GM needs product appeal: analysts By Jui Chakravorty

In an industry where 'product is king,' General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) is in dire need of attractive new vehicles to rule the road, analysts say, mostly dismissing a move by the ailing auto giant to cut jobs and close plants to save billions of dollars a year.

The world's largest automaker on Monday said it will cut 30,000 North American manufacturing jobs and close 12 operations as part of a broader restructuring plan.

"I don't think the cuts are enough, but it's not a matter of whether they are enough or not, it's a matter of whether or not the company will create the culture of innovation GM needs to pull the company out of a tailspin," automotive expert Charles Fleetham said.

GM has been struggling with high health-care and commodities costs, loss of U.S. market share to foreign rivals and stalled sales of large sport utility vehicles due to high gasoline prices.

This year alone, the carmaker has lost $4 billion while its shares have bled more than 40 percent of their value.

GM's new 2007 models include a new Chevy Tahoe, a new professional grade GMC Yukon and Yukon Denali and a new Cadillac Escalade -- all four are big SUVs and will be rolled out in the first quarter of 2006.

"The overall product mix for 2006 is reflective of the short-term thinking of GM," Fleetham said. "GM's overall offerings are more representative of the 1999 mindset than the needs of today. The consumer of 2006 has environmental concerns, is mindful of fuel economy and is more style-conscious."

GM did not return calls for comment.

Standard & Poor's on Monday warned that its ratings on GM will remain on credit watch, citing ongoing concerns over GM's lost market share; the sales and pricing outlook for GM's products; and the adequacy of GM's strategies for improving its cost position.

SOME OPTIMISM

Bob Lutz, vice chairman of global product development, last year said the goal was to turn around GM's struggling car business by ensuring that the vehicles it builds are "best in class" and capable of competing with the most desired products anywhere on the road.

"The Japanese really built their quality reputation on small cars," Jim Sanfilippo, an analyst with consulting and research firm Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc., said.

"Conversely, the U.S. makers struggled with small cars, built atrociously uncompetitive cars for many years and lost two to three generations of consumers. That's not going to be easy to undo."

GM's new models, to be launched in 2006 and 2007, include new crossover vehicles -- car-based sport utility vehicles, which are lighter and less fuel-thirsty than their truck-based counterparts -- in the GMC, Buick and Saturn brands.

"This will be a big positive because there is a migration taking place from traditional SUVs to something that has the same feeling but is not as big. It provides a destination for all the defectors who don't want SUVs anymore," Sanfilippo said.

"I think the products for 2006 are quite strong," Michael Robinet, vice president of global vehicle forecast at CSM Worldwide, a consulting and research firm, said. "If we can keep fuel prices at $2 a gallon, I think GM will float to the top of the SUV and full-size pick-up market," he said, referring to GM's profit centers.

Still, Goldman Sachs analyst Robert Barry on Tuesday said an onslaught of new products from Asian automakers over the next few years will pressure GM and could prevent it from getting the wheels back on its money-losing North American auto business.

"A painful cycle of restructuring, waning profitability and further restructuring is likely to characterize GM's future," he said.

Archived