Diff Fluid Problem

I changed the fluid in both my front and rear diffferentails last weekend. As I was pouring the last quart into the rear I noticed that quart seemed much darker. Sure enough a bottle of 75W-140 was mixed in with the 75W-90 I had bought. Since I had already started to pour it in and needed to used the truck I just finished.

Question is will mixing these oils cause any problems? I have noticed a drop in fluel mileage, which I think may be due to the higher viscocity oil.

Any thoughts?

when should these fluids get checked/changed?  Did it help your front end noise?

I really wanted to do this to see if the sound from the front end would go away and it definietly did not. Guess I will be making it to the dealer before my warranty runs out.

My gas mileage issue could be unrelated (bad tank of gas or something). Or maybe I am just being paranoid.

In my case changing fluids quieted everything down, especially the transfer case and the rear end - but with the poor quality control on these drivetrains I think everyone's experience here is going to be different.

Mr. P.

I had my truck into the dealer yesterday. They replaced the bearings and seals in the front differential under warranty. My gas mileage is back up where it used to be :thumbs: but the damn thing still howls when going around corners :puke:

Should they have replaced more than just the bearings and seals. The invoice says "Bearing Failure - Recondition Front Differential." If a bearing failed and debris was in the differential shouldn't all the gears be replaced as well.

Looks like they will be getting another phone call shortly

I had my truck into the dealer yesterday.  They replaced the bearings and seals in the front differential under warranty.  My gas mileage is back up where it used to be  :thumbs:  but the damn thing still howls when going around corners :puke:

Should they have replaced more than just the bearings and seals.  The invoice says "Bearing Failure - Recondition Front Differential."  If a bearing failed and debris was in the differential shouldn't all the gears be replaced as well.

Looks like they will be getting another phone call shortly

It all depends on how bad it was, or how many miles it has. Mine were replaced at 31K miles, bearings, seals, and gears. Even then it still made noise around corners. Changed fluid in the t-case using AutotrakII fluid, noise was better but still there.

After some miles were put on the new gears I changed front and rear fluids. Seemed to run smoother, but still a little noisey around corners. Everything seems to be in good working order, so I'm just going to live with it. Maybe when I get exhaust that'll drownd it out.

Archived