Better Brake Pads

m396 #00-011

I have the truck for only a few hours and already hate the brakes.

Has anyone replaced the pads with a more aggressive pad and different fluid.

Looking for some Performance Friction Z rated pads and some Ford HD fluid. Any other suggestions?

I guess the vette has spoiled me :rolleyes:

The breaks do feal a bit spongy but they stop better than any other pickup (including the Lightning) :chevy: . I would be interested in any solution short of Brembos.

I was spoiled by an Acura RS, no travel in the pedal before contact and a smooth quick responce to pressure.

triplesss is right the SS has the best breaking of all the trucks its size. In truck trend July/ August they reviewed the SS, Ford HD, and a Single cab Ram Hemi. The Braking #s looked like this

SS: 118.95 :thumbs:

Ram: 132.03 :sick:

Ford HD: 128.59 :nonod:

Truthfully, I don't think the pads or fluid will make much difference. The pads should already be ceramic which are some of the best on the market (granted they are stock). I have been told that GM made some changes to the ABS making it more efficient and not so touchy, this may be the reason for the spongy brake pedal. None the less, this truck's brakes are the best for the type vehicle (stock of course). If you do get better results, I'm sure we will all benefit. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
The pads should already be ceramic which are some of the best on the market (granted they are stock).

The problem here is that the stock ceramic pads are nothing like a Porsche pad. The only upside to the stock Ceramic pad is brake dusting. Actually, the Ceramic pad isn't as good as an organic pad for GM.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys must be spoiled. ;)

I'm shocked at how steady and quickly the SS stops. Everyone who has been in the truck with me while abruptly stopping from 60mph has been amazed, too.

I stops okay, it just takes a foot nearly all the way to the floor.

Archived