Perfectly Fine in the Snow?!

Grim_Smoker

I have not had a problem with my truck in the winter time. Infact, I think it is fun! I still have the stock tires on it.....and I tow a two place snopro trailer with two sleds on it throughout the winter. I did that a few times last winter in the middle of an actual storm and still didn't have any issues! :thumbs: Just take it easy when the going gets really bad....which is what you should do when driving anything when it's that bad. Good luck! :driving:

Justin :chevy:

i have taken my truck up through vermont and into canada with a 4 place snowmobile trailer as well. never had much of a problem other than the tires do want to spinn cause of the low end engine torque and the gearing. the gearing is probably the biggest problem. all of my friend have true 4x4's and i can plow thorough the worst conditions where they have issues. the other truck that go up with me are, 04 ford f-150 5.4, 05 ford f-350 v-10, 02 chevy silverado 2500 duramax. they have to slow down or pop it into 4x4, i just keep moving with the awd. i do have a set of cooper discovery tires on it which helps alot but the throttle just has to be finessed in the right manor.

My wife's '00 Mustang GT with Blizzak's does better than the SSS with the stock Goodyear LS's. Side by side comparison, she could accelerate and stop better than me through 6 inches of snow in an unplowed parking lot. That's motivation enough right there for me to want some 16's and snow tires... just can't find them cheap enough right now. Next winter for sure though.

The tires are an issue with any truck, not just the SS. My old 2001 Sivlerado had the automatic 4X4 and was much better in the snow, but it had a lot better tires. The SS is a ton better in the snow that any compariable trucks(Lightning, SRT-10). I haven't seen much snow since owning the SS but it has done well in the small amount I have seen. Just look for a set of winter tires to help the SS out in the winter. :chevy:

A skinnier tire with agressive tread will definitely help get you going...I used to have a 67 Nova (it was my step-dad's but basically mine for about a year), straight 6, manual 4 wheel drum brakes. I couldn't even get it moving in the winter with the factory bias plys on (yep, it was my daily driver when I was 17...lucky kid). Anyway, I had just enough money to throw 2 snow tires on the rear for traction, and it was night and day.

Archived