Strange Gauges...

Wicked_SS

I was sitting in traffic in Griffith Park for the Christmas Lights when I noticed that my battery gauge was really high..at first it was a lil past the 3/4 mark. Truck is running fine, no weirdness at all. But I pulled off to let the kids with us out for a minute and turned off my truck. When I got back in it shot immediately up and stopped just a lil past the red line. Still running fine and stuck in traffic with no way out so I had to keep going. Went to pick up my husband and when I turned it back on again THIS is what I got...I didn't even know gauges could go that far past the red lines!! Scared me to death so I drove 50 the whole way home in the slow lane..but it still seems to be running fine. I have NO idea what's causing this...anyone else?

untitled.jpg

My guess would be the voltage regulator in the alternator has failed.

There is a possibility the gauge itself is faulty. Take it in to a repair shop, they will be able to test the charging system and narrow it down to a bad alternator or faulty gauge. Get it done quickly, because if it is overcharging, it will cook the battery too.

BTW, did you get the steering shaft taken care of?

My guess would be the voltage regulator in the alternator has failed.

There is a possibility the gauge itself is faulty. Take it in to a repair shop, they will be able to test the charging system and narrow it down to a bad alternator or faulty gauge. Get it done quickly, because if it is overcharging, it will cook the battery too.

get it looked .. :withstupid:

good luck

:seeya:

My guess, IF the headlights look no brighter than normal and you have not burnt anything up is that the cluster is bad. I just had mine replaced and there were all kinds of weird things on mine bad. no oil pressure, tach pegged and speedo pegged. have it looked at asap....

Could this have anything to do with the truck having been in a flood?

I know I know...you told me so. :sigh: I've been looking at cars lately, I won't have my truck much longer I don't think. But while I've got it I've gotta drive it so it has to atleast run. And being a girl I don't wanna be stuck on the side of the freeway at 3am anywhere in LA.

Could this have anything to do with the truck having been in a flood?

I know I know...you told me so. :sigh: I've been looking at cars lately, I won't have my truck much longer I don't think. But while I've got it I've gotta drive it so it has to atleast run. And being a girl I don't wanna be stuck on the side of the freeway at 3am anywhere in LA.

Naww keep the truck it could just be something simple in the charging system that could have failed weather or not it was because of the flood. Even if it was it's gonna take some time for the bugs to show up but if this is all you get then no biggie.

Sooooooooo I spent 2 hours at the dealer today and they couldn't find anything wrong at all. When I got in my truck this morning and started it, the gauge mysteriously went back to normal and has stayed there since. The only thing they could come up with was that I had a "surge" of some sort. Whatever!

And I wish I could say that I WAS gonna keep it because I'd really like to. But after getting in my truck tonite and finding out that my driver's side seat won't move forward and seeing that the temperature reading on my mirror was 92 degrees (haha!) I'm just too frustrated. I've had problems from the start and I just can't hang anymore I guess. :sigh:

Archived