Want to lower rear only

SSuperSport

I called 1 local shop today to check on the cost of lowering the rear a couple of inches just to level the truck out and got a quote of $125.00 for the parts plus labor. Seemed way high to me? So, I found the rear hangers for a 1" or 2" drop for $45.00 a pair and that may still be a little high. A couple of questions, are there any issues with this method of lowering on an '06 SS? Second, I do plan on getting a bed liner sprayed in very soon and adding a soft tonneau cover. Will these two additions add enough weight to make any difference in ride height?

Thanks in advance for any help !!

i have an 05 VHO with a line-x and a roll N lock cover(which i love)

anyway, they won't affect your ride height.

don't put hanger on unless you have already put shackles on

hangers go in front of the leafs, shackles hold the back

aim has 2" drop shackles (SKU#: SHA-GM88XXA) for 37 bucks

which is good price.

or you can make your own.... cut yours in half horizontally and

extend them by welding in a piece of plate.

just remember a hanger or shackle drop has a 2 to one ratio,

if you want to drop the rear 2", extend the shackle 4".

(the axle is in the middle so if one side drops 4, the middle

only drops 2)

i have done this many times and it works well.

only problems:

1 when welding in the extension, be careful not to heat the bushings too much

2 don't extend the shackle too much or it won't clear the underside

of the bed.( 4" no problem )

good luck

Hey BAGZ, Thanks much for the great answers!! I can do a little work but I don't cut or weld so it will be a trip to the shop for the install. I was considering a 2" - 4" drop but this should be good for now, lots of other things that my few dollars will be going towards right now. Thanks again ! :chevy:

I bought my beltech shackles for $45. They are fairly easy to install and will lower your back 2" the only real time consuming issue is having to drop the tow package in order to get the bolts out for the shackle. Whole job could easily be done in 2 hours.

I called 1 local shop today to check on the cost of lowering the rear a couple of inches just to level the truck out and got a quote of $125.00 for the parts plus labor. Seemed way high to me? So, I found the rear hangers for a 1" or 2" drop for $45.00 a pair and that may still be a little high. A couple of questions, are there any issues with this method of lowering on an '06 SS? Second, I do plan on getting a bed liner sprayed in very soon and adding a soft tonneau cover. Will these two additions add enough weight to make any difference in ride height?

Thanks in advance for any help !!

don't 06 SS's sit level stock? :confused:

i'd also like to do this but i spend alot of time with a boat hooked up out back. any towing issues other than getting a leveling hitch?

also, in the winter i often have up to about 1200lb of shell corn in the bed for a corn stove. do the drop shackles reduce cargo weight capacity? :confused:

got a link?

Here you go. You don't have to drop the hitch if you just loosen the bolts enough. Ask me questions if you need to...

My how to for 2/2 drop.

thanks for the link. i looked in the how to section and did not see it. i just figured out the settings were set to show only the last 30-days. i clicked on show all and there it is :jester:

i'd also like to do this but i spend alot of time with a boat hooked up out back. any towing issues other than getting a leveling hitch?

also, in the winter i often have up to about 1200lb of shell corn in the bed for a corn stove. do the drop shackles reduce cargo weight capacity? :confused:

anyone have an answer for this???

Honestly you'll probably bottom out with much weight in the bed. I know that with my drop on and just the weight of the bumper, spare, and hitch mine would smack the frame if I hit any bumps hard.

If you want to go low and tow/haul I'd suggest a set of helper bags from McGaughy's. Do a search for them. Alex (r8rs4lf) installed them and said they really worked well.

anyone have an answer for this???

How far do you drive with this 1200lb load? If it's not very far I would say you should be just fine with only 2" and cut down the rear bumpstops accordingly which would be just one ring/nub and I don't see a problem. It will not affect the weight capacity because it does nothing to the factory spring rate. I am at about 3.5" in front and 4" in the rear and still retain the factory spring rate. Now if I ever want to haul anything thats a different story because I will need the helper bags which I plan on installing at some point because I do have seadoos I tow to the lake but thats like 3 miles each way to and from the vacation house.

Archived