Is the Bose Subwoofer a DVC?

misterp

In the last couple weeks the stock Bose system in the SS does not have the pound it used to, there is still some low frequency reinforcement there but I'm pretty sure not like the past. I put my hand near the cabinet opening and the unit is still moving air but :dunno: Am I assuming right that the 6" woofer is a dual voice coil, and if so is it possible I ruined one of them? I know the Bose "subwoofer" barely qualifies but for now it's all I've got! Anybody know of an easy check for this? Just had a thought, I have an old AutoSound 2000 test cd, maybe playing bass in-phase vs out-of-phase?

Thanks -

Mr. P. :)

Where is the factory sub?  :dunno:

Stupid question but I never looked

Embedded in the center console, beneath the cupholders; if you put your hand up to the lower-front opening of the console you can feel the woofer loading against the dash/firewall.

im glad im not the only who thinks this. I thought mine seemed a bit weak lately. If you have ever heard the sound from a escalade or tahoe, any suv with the bose it sounds like it has alot more bass.(not the ones with the 8 in the rear either). I wonder if they are different subs? I hope you find a solution to this problem Mr P.

A Sweet Alternative to this set up is to replace it with a JL6w0 Sub. It hits harder and plays lower than the stupid bose sub. My bose sub was a DVC sub and one of the coils was cooked, So I swapped it out.

In my set up all it is there for is to bring some of the bass forward for general listening, the best upgrade for that area is to just get the JL audio Stealthbox that replaces that whole set up with a single 10w3, that is completely hidden away.

Joe K

Don't think so,, not a very popular sub. I have some of them sitting around from my last car. I had 2 of them under each front seat, worked as a nice kick bass for the front in my Audi.

I can sell them for 50$. You do have to do some trimming on the enclosure for it to fit just right, but not much. The JL sub is .5 inches bigger so you have to trim .25 inches around the whole opening and also the flange gets caught on the upper right side when looking at the enclosure, so you have ot trim that off and some times patch it if you take too much off. I should have taken pictures when I did mine. (DOHH)

Also the factory amp does not work super well with this set up. a small 100-200 watt mono amp will really bring this sub to life. easy to set up, small power wire and everything.

Thanks Joe - I think my sub did the same as yours, I was pretty sure just listening to it earlier but now that you say yes it is a DVC I'm positive one motor gave it up. I'll definitely give your sub ideas some serious consideration.

Archived