My computer has a VIRUS

thrift23

I have the updated Norton Anti-virus but I can't get this virus off my computer. I have been to Norton's site and downloaded the removal tool but it's not working. There's a red X on the bottom of my screen where it shows which programs are running and it is accompanied by a pop-up saying that my computer is infected. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this virus before?

Did you do a scan with Norton? I know you said you did an update. Usually that is the only time it "cleans". Never had one that it wouldn't. With my firewall/virus protect set the way it is, none have been able to get through with mine - yet.

i just had a topic about this, i got rid of norton and did AVG Anitvirus along with the microsoft anti spyware and my comp is running a lot better and all the spyware and viruses are gone. IMO norton gets a thumbs down

The problem is that I hadn't updated my Norton for awhile and I got this virus. I did the live update and then scanned the computer. I also scanned it for adware and spyware. As far as the patches, how do I check to see if I am up to date?

Ldogss, can you ask him how he removed the virus?  The same thing is happening to me, I have all the updates but it won't let me remove it.

Download this http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...moval.tool.html then reboot in safe mode and run it. Should fix it.

Hmmm.........well when you boot in safe mode that is what you should see. There will be a dialog box that comes up saying something like "if you really wanted to boot safe mode click ok" or something close to that. After you click on the dialog box in a few seconds you should have your task bar back at the bottom. It won't look anything like normal mode, but you should be able to find the file you DL and run it.

The problem is that when i reboot in safe mode I don't get a task bar. There is nothing I can click on. It flashes a box up that dissapears really fast and the only way to do anything is to click no on that box (if I can do it fast enough) and then restore my computer to an earlier date.

IMHO Norton and McAfee both suck.

Give AVG free edition from Grisoft a try....your PC will run better and you won't have the virus problem others are having. I've been running AVG for 2 or 3 years now with 0 problems and have spent $0 for a program that even updates itself daily.

If you like it they have a more advanced version you can purchase.

Archived